Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2014, 10:05 PM   #1

03 Boxster Starting issue

I've had the car since July 4th and it has given me a couple starting issues. After sitting for a week or more it's not wanting to start, it also (one time) threw out a puff of smoke. I had no starting issues all summer and now that it's really cold it just doesn't want to kick over, you can try it a couple times and eventually "click click click click click" noise

It's also kinda weird that when I'm trying to start it the windows will drop a bit as if it's trying not to lock me out of a dead car...

I'm pretty sure it's a battery but I'm not certain, has anyone had similar issues?

If it is the battery does anyone know reasonable pricing? I've seen them at auto zone for almost 170-180 that's nuts!

wjswireless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:26 AM   #2

Certainly sounds like a battery failure - all sorts of weird things happen to the Porsche electrical systems when the voltage drops below 12 v.
When you change the battery, make sure you have your radio code handy or install a bridging battery so you don't lose your engine throttle adaptations and window settings.
I can't help you with battery pricing as I'm in Australia, but the Boxster has a rather large and good quality battery fitted as standard (Bosch / Moll), so someone more local can chime in here.....
Old 02-02-2014, 03:05 AM   #3
Beginner

Garage
03 no longer has the radio code. I would not worry too much about losing the data or bridging the battery. The car may run rough for a few minutes but it cleans up. And yes, you need a battery, you may need an alternator as well,but perhaps not. Me? I'd go to Wal Mart (they carry the battery, but it is over $100 - Porsche tax) and just put in a new battery. If you have not done this before pay close attention to the positive and negative sides - don't put it in backwards. Also when removing, take the ground off first then the positive. That way if the wrench touches metal on the car your not welding. When installing, install the positive first, then the ground, same reason. You will know soon enough if the alternator is bad - the battery will run down fairly quickly, or if its a bad diode, the alternator may drain the battery. Plan accordingly. Pay attention so if the battery does begin to run down you can disconnect it. Allowing the battery to fully discharge is a sure way to kill the new battery.

Last edited by Jamesp; 02-02-2014 at 03:09 AM.
Jamesp is offline   Reply With Quote