Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2014, 12:47 AM   #1

quaiffe differential

I was seeing an article the other day that there's a quaiffe limited slip differential available for my base 1999 986. It says that it makes the car corner much faster and also and quicker from a standstill too. I only use the car for the street, i was wondering if it does makes a difference in street driving. The cost is $1,200 + shipping.
It's quite pricy, so i don't know if its worth the money. Anyone has experience with LSD and what advantages it would have on the road.
Thanks

boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:10 AM   #2
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
You will get very limited benefit in street serving and almost no benefit in normal driving.
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:20 AM   #3

Thanks edc. The thing i like about my car when cornering is that it oversteers in a fun and controllable manner. Ive heard that with an LSD it might snap the other way when cornering and take you by surprise,which will obviously be dangerous. Is this true? I bet the real advantage would be accelerating from a standstill.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:54 AM   #4

I have a GT3 with an LSD. The factory units are known to fail and a symptom of that failure on the track or when driven hard on the road is a tail wag and lack of stability on acceleration when coming out of a corner. When driven normally on the street, the failed differential was not obvious. But once changed to a working LSD (Guard Transmission), the tail wag noted during track sessions and very spirited street driving is gone, replaced by a very smooth corner exit.
2011 BMW 335ix Coupe, 2006 Mazdaspeed 6
1960 VW Type 1, 1962 VW Type 2 Truck
AP328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:44 PM   #5

For normal street driving, the only time a limited slip would be of a significant benefit would be in low traction situations like snow. Witness BMW used to sell a limited slip as a Winter Diving Package before the advent of traction control.

For Malta, I don't think that is an issue. For your location, if you don't track your car, it would probably be a complete waste of money.

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:41 AM   #6

Thanks for the info guys. I don't think id be doing it from what ive read. I just use the car about once a month to have some fun,that's it. As it is,i love going round corners in a spirited manner,as i know exactly how the back end is going to behave, when it steps out a bit it's in a fairly predictable manner. If i change to a LSD I'm afraid that i won't get used to the way it behaves in corners and i might regret it.