Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2014, 06:37 PM   #1
recycledsixtie

Garage
Rear tail light not working on my base 2001 Boxster...

I know there is a previous post about tail lights but this is somewhat more complex.
I ordered tail light bulbs and tried to replace the left rear and it does not work either.
So the bulb is not burned out.

I put the voltmeter on the connections and it shows .01 volts. On the working side it shows around 12 volts. I replugged the elect. connector into the bulb carriage and no change . So does that mean that I must get a new bulb carriage? I checked the fuses (5 watts) and they are all good. I pulled the connection out a bit with pliers to make a better connection so no change. So what actually is broken in the bulb carriage?

On the other side one brake bulb is burned out too but I will deal with the tail light first. The little light on the extreme side of the car is not working with the regular tail light. Please illuminate me on this situation. Will a new bulb carriage solve my problems?
G.

recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:16 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I would start by checking voltages at the connector on the bad side.

The carriage is pretty foolproof, though the metal strips do pop out sometimes...I'm assuming that you already checked for that?
Old 01-24-2014, 02:26 PM   #3

check for voltage at the fuse, if good, then the DRL relay, then from connector to connector until you find the dead link in the chain
Old 01-24-2014, 04:56 PM   #4

Garage
The way the carriage gives power to each socket is completely ridiculous. The carriage traces are just 'spring loaded' essentially against the bulb socket, so if you insert a longer base bulb (of same diameter), you end up pushing the socket and carriage trace apart, and the bulb wont get power.

Test for power at the connector, and then check for power in the socket with the bulb REMOVED. My guess is you will see 12v.

epapp is offline   Reply With Quote