Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 11:23 PM   #1

About to embark on new adventure in .. replacing conv top

With only these 2 guides as my friends, I'm about to attempt a convertible top replacement ..

https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/replacingthetop-adiy

Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Convertible New Top - 986 / 987

I'll be ordering the 3M tape and spare sliders ( 986.561.669.03 and 986.561.670.03 ) tomorrow.

Just posting up here to see if anyone that have done this before have any tips for me.

Thanks!

nefarious986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:49 AM   #2
Beginner

Garage
I replaced mine on my Mustang. I stretched it too tight and has a little ripple in he back. Not my best work, but not quite worth taking it off (yet). You can watch youtube videos of top replacements to see one replaced before tackling yours. I also used stainless steel staples. Photograph the current installation thoroughly for reference while putting the new top on.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:04 PM   #3
Usercpy

Garage
I've changed my top about year ago from Autotops, with great result, and used reference from mikefocke2.
The hardest part for me was around the "B-pillar", the rest is fairly easy.
important when removal of conv top, i took pics of everything i did so i remembered if i had to go back, and remember bag the screws.
I used double sided carpet tape instead 3M, they are very strong & durable.
If you have trouble sliding/installing back those sliders, use alchohol and it will slide in easily, the alchohol will dry out and leave inside clean.
I needed an assistent when installing center of the roof.
it took me over 10 hour during first time installing(with break), next time it will be much easier and can manage 3-4 hour.
I hope u understand my writing, english is not my main language.
God luck with installing.

Last edited by ilikeching; 01-09-2014 at 04:01 AM.
ilikeching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:50 PM   #4

Order a few spare pins with the sliders - very easy to drop and lose. part #986.561.597.00

I'd suggest having an assistant. There's a couple of times when two hands isn't enough.

Take lots of pictures showing how things fit back together. When I did mine I found broken parts, so it was a couple of weeks before the parts came in and I put it back together. My pics saved me as there is no way I would have remembered how everything fit.

Go slow and careful. don't put a time limit on the job. Expect to have to take it back apart again to adjust it if you don't get it perfect the first time.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:39 PM   #5

I suggest zip lock Baggies and labels. It sure helps when trying to remember where each screw goes.

opus69 is offline   Reply With Quote