Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2013, 12:17 AM   #1

brake pad question? different shape

so yesterday i was in the porcess of swapping over brake pads and discs on the front on the boxster (s model).

i took out the used Tektar pads which were the same shape as below (only focus on the top edge);

and i was fitting Ferodo DS2500 pads which are this shape (again only focus on the top edge);

notice the difference in the shape of the top edge. the old pads had the rounded ends which gave somewhere for the spring clip to sit against. both pads are exactly the same shape in regards to the matting face and the other 3 pad fitting edges.

i have fitted the new pads and disc and the spring clip is back in place, as is the locking pin. my question is has anyone came across this before and if so were the pads ok to run? i assume they will be as the spring clip is still held in place quite fine by the locking pin and they seem well held in place?

Last edited by koosh; 12-27-2013 at 12:21 AM.
koosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 02:38 AM   #2

Careful there mate, those are ceramic pads and they simply won't work during winter/cold months. Unless you can keep them very hot (??) at all time then yeah, they are excellent and don't do dust at all. Perfect for HOT summer days and track use ONLY.

VERY dangerous during winter & street use.

RE shapes; different manufacturer/different shapes.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:19 AM   #3

thanks for the heads up! i had heard many a good thing about the DS2500 pads and came highly recomended from a friend of mines. even in scotland where its cold as hell they are said to be about the best out there! but i shall take note and be very careful with them!
and so long as i know they will still be fine despite being a different shape then thats all good for me!
Old 12-27-2013, 06:35 AM   #4

They will stop ya no worries there, far better than the OEM stuff (yes your mate is right), however you are not going to benefit from the initial bite in cold weather which in required in most braking emergencies e.g. pedestrians, cyclists, pets, etc...

The steel heats up twice faster than the pad. Should be at the same rate really. That is the problem with them during cold weather :/ sux . I'm on the dusty ones for a few more months and then swapping back to the ceramic pads indeed

As long as you are aware then you should be just fine
Old 12-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #5

What makes you day they're no good for the street? Ferodo rates them "good from cold" , with a consistant Coefficient of friction from 20-500° C. There is also many favorable reviews for use on the street and moderate track days.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #6

i read up on them and they sell them as fast road/race pads and they do say they are good for street use so that why i went with them.
i can say one thing, they are going to be much better than the discs and pads that came off of the car anyways, the old ones were grooved and scored big time!
Old 12-31-2013, 04:46 AM   #7
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Do the DS2500 have the groove for the wear sensor?
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:52 AM   #8

they have the slit in the top (the bit on the left of the locking pin hole in the pictures) but they dont have the hole in the top of the pad itself for the little sensor to slip into.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:07 AM   #9
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
I thought that was the case. I have been looking to get these pads myself for some time. I've found some for £127 delivered (S), where did you get yours from?

Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote