Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2013, 07:48 AM   #1

Rewiring 3rd Brake Light

Hey folks,

A long while back I purchased off ebay an OEM Aero Kit 1 rear spoiler (without rear deck lid). The original owner removed it (for an even more garish spoiler I'd imagine) and simply cut the wires that fed into the rear trunk bay. These are the wires that connect the 3rd brake light housed within the spoiler.

As I'm sure many of you know, the original OEM Aero Kit 1 came with a different rear deck lid that covered the area where the non-aero 3rd brake light resides. I am wondering what it will take to rewire this light and run new cabling to the non-aero 3rd brake light connection.

Can anyone point me to the necessary circuit and schematic diagrams?
Is it possible to buy OEM wiring harness segments or is one better off using non-oem wiring cut to length?
Does the non-aero 3rd brake light have a plugin connector somewhere that can be easily disconnected or is the wired continuously into the greater wiring harness?

Thanks for the advise. (I'll follow up with photos at some point.)

RaisedOnPorsches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:08 PM   #2

Well I've partially answered my own questions thanks to my copy of "101 Projects" arriving in the mail today, but I am still curious if anyone has recommendations for replacement wiring and connectors.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:29 AM   #3

Garage
On the non-aero 3rd light, theres a connector that terminates at the light fixture, with a single connector that holds two wires. once you remove the non-aero brake light, just run two wires from the connector to the new brake light on the aero kit.

I guess to do it properly, you should take the old wire connector and reroute it into the trunk through the main wiring loom area, and then up along the underside of the trunk lid somehow.
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:38 AM   #4

Thanks for the info.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:22 PM   #5

On my '98, there is a connector in the trunk area to the left of the ECU that the cable described above plugs into. If the trunk connector is present, you just need the jumper from there to the light. It's about 2' long.

spendy is offline   Reply With Quote