Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2013, 02:11 PM   #1

Dansk "Hotdog" Muffler for 2.5l Boxster

I've done some searching through the archives and my head is spinning regarding Boxster exhaust options. Some have cabin drone. Some don't. Oppinions on which have which seems to vary.

Anyhow, I have a lead on a Dansk brand "hotdog" shaped muffler unused for a 2.5L Boxster. This is the Dansk muffler that DOES NOT look like the OEM muffler. Do folks regards this as a good aftermarket muffler option or one to avoid due to cabin drone?

Thanks!

RaisedOnPorsches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #2
Track rat

Garage
From what I recall this one does have some wave cancellation so it is better than most aftermarket exhausts in terms of drone. Better than stock? I don't think so. It loses hp and torque below 4800rpm which is a critical area IMO. I would love to lose 15 lbs off the tail of my car but I am not willing to sacrifice mid rpm torque to do so. Porsche spent way too much money and engineering to get the performance and sound just right within their sound constraints.

More discussion on this with dyne results:
http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/4073-dyno-results-dansk-sports-muffler-for-boxster-s/

Last edited by Topless; 12-07-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:05 AM   #3
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
I have one of these en route to me. Plus I also have the two box Toyosport one in my garage too! If I get the chance I may do a few experiments.
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #4

Thanks for the responses. Topless, I agree a decrease in torque at the lower end would be a deal killer for me too. I assume this isn't the case with all aftermarket mufflers though, correct?

I've got some headers coming, I'll get those on first before I make the plunge into aftermarket exhausts.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaisedOnPorsches View Post
Thanks for the responses. Topless, I agree a decrease in torque at the lower end would be a deal killer for me too. I assume this isn't the case with all aftermarket mufflers though, correct?

I've got some headers coming, I'll get those on first before I make the plunge into aftermarket exhausts.
Which headers and how are you going about a full system?
evomind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #6

Currently, everything is stock, but I did just pick up a pair of new Schnell brand headers from another on this forum. I realize exhaust mods shouldn't be mixed and matched.

I'm debating between between 1) using the Schnell headers, having FD Fister-ize my stock muffler, and stock cats OR 2) waiting a while longer to save up the cash for a full Fabspeed exhaust system.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Currently, everything is stock, but I did just pick up a pair of new Schnell brand headers from another on this forum. I realize exhaust mods shouldn't be mixed and matched.

I'm debating between between 1) using the Schnell headers, having FD Fister-ize my stock muffler, and stock cats OR 2) waiting a while longer to save up the cash for a full Fabspeed exhaust system.
There isn't anything inherently wrong with mixing/matching exhaust pieces.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #8

No? I suppose mixing and matching will mean more time at the dyno at least to make sure one isn't reducing the performance of the car.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:04 AM   #9

Quote:
No? I suppose mixing and matching will mean more time at the dyno at least to make sure one isn't reducing the performance of the car.
AS long as the exhaust pieces are sized and flow what you want it doesn't make much difference. Restrictions is what make the differences.
Do the Schnell headers have cats, or are those down line?
Interested because I have a 2.5 also.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:12 AM   #10

The Schnell headers are just headers. They're 2.5L engine exhaust specific. The 2.5L exhausts only have two catalytic converters located in parallel between the headers and the muffler.

All those cat-bypasses that you read about people doing are mostly relating to 2.7L and 3.2L Boxsters where they have four cats total, two per side. Folks are bypassing the secondary cats.

I'm sure there are still benefits for replacing the stock cats on a 2.5L setup with high flow aftermarket cats. Cats simply aren't cheap because of the rare metals that are involved in them.

That's about the full depth of my 2.5L exhaust knowledge at this point. Pelican parts has a decent write-up on exhaust mods.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #11

Yeah, the cats make a cheap exhaust system expensive and an expensive one even more so.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #12
2004 Boxster S

Quote:
All those cat-bypasses that you read about people doing are mostly relating to 2.7L and 3.2L Boxsters where they have four cats total, two per side. Folks are bypassing the secondary cats.
"Mostly." Four cats are North America, possibly only USA-specific. Over here in ROW-land we only have the second set of cats, none built into the headers. FWIW.
evan9eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:41 PM   #13

Garage
Has anyone installed headers with universal high-flow cats and a high performance muffler? On a pre-2000 2.5L car?