Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 07:30 AM   #1

986 Factory Amplifier Upgrade

Anyone have experience and/or advice on upgrading the factory amp in a 2001 986 S? I recently replaced the factory CDR220 with a new single DIN head unit (Kenwood KDC-X797) and while I like the head unit fine, sound improvement is greatly diminished by the fact that the factory amp still powers the stock speakers. I will most likely upgrade the entire system, however, I was wondering if anyone has replaced the factory amp and has any product or installation recommendations? Another option I'm considering is just bypassing the factory amp all together and wiring the speakers directly to the new head unit.

Dave2001S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:47 AM   #2

BTW, forgot to include a pic of the install.
Dave2001S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:14 AM   #3

Garage
If you're going to go through all the work of re-wiring, put a new amp in. The new headunit doesn't have enough power to drive speakers to realistic listening levels in a convertible.

I pretty much copied this system:

Porsche Boxster JL Audio Stealthbox Style Subwoofer Upgrade - 6speedonline.com Forums

but could have gotten away with cheaper speakers. Sounds great and I can hear it at 65 mph with the top down...
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:15 AM   #4

Garage
I just recently changed out my 220 out of my box. i replaced the dash/door speakers and had it running on my alpine deck power. It sounded better than stock but then picked up a 4 channel alpine amp and put it in the spot where the factory amp was. Sounds way better. It wasn't too difficult to run 3 pairs of rca's and a remote wire from the headunit. There's a large grommet near the battery closer to the drivers side of the firewall. There's lots of posts on amp installs. I used the factory wiring to the speakers and reused the cd changer mount. Pretty straight forward.
markskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #5

massive audio 4 channel amp.

i have it connected to my Sony BT Head unit.... good fit, in the original amp position.

suggestion ... pre-wire the subwoofer out wire .. when u take out the HU ...

u'll soon be looking for a powered sub ... to put behind the passenger seat

BTfd2e93 is offline   Reply With Quote