Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #1

AOS Oil Fill tube repair and fun.....

Hi,

I read this forum all the time for technical help, but on this last project I ran into some things that I've never read on here, nor could I find in the searches.

First, I replaced the AOS, and BOTH vent tubes. Yep, even the long bottom one. I could not find instructions anywhere, so I had to wing it. I had planned to take my time and take some pics (threads like these are worthless without them) but my kids car broke too- so down to two cars and three drivers in the house and I had to hurry.

Ok, so for the lower tube, you have to pull the drivers side intake plenum. No big deal, just loosen the 6 10mm bolts and carefully pull it up towards the center of the engine and back towards the trunk. It won't move much, but it will move enough.

I removed the front engine access cover, then used a flat bladed screwdriver to push the old tube off at the drivers side. Then I released it from the AOS and broke it in the middle to pull it out. It was old and brittle- it came apart easily.

Knowing the new one would have to be fed in place intact, I left it in the sun on my kitchen table for a few hours so it would get good and warm and little more pliable. That worked, it gave me all the flex I needed to feed it in. I started with the drivers side, getting it roughly in place through the intake plenum. Then I moved over to the passenger side and worked it through there- it took some bending though, and I one point I thought I might break it, but leaving it in the sun made it just flexible enough to get it in position. All this took a solid hour of wrangling.

Hooking up the AOS side is discussed in plenty of threads, but the drivers side was a chore. I found that I had to reinstall the intake plenum first, then use my right hand on the tube (placed at center engine under where the intake T would be) to maneuver it into place- just get the end in. Then I used a pry bar in the center slot of the intake to put a little pressure on the bend to get it to push all the way in (obviously be gentle here, you don't want to break your intake or the vent tube). And that was how I did it- there are probably easier ways, but I was in a hurry.

As for the Oil Fill Tube- the latest rev has several C shaped sections. The top one, that points up and sits directly below the passenger side intake, was in the way. My T off the throttle body would not seal onto the intake because of it. I had to trim about 5mm off of the side closest to the trunk, then the rubber boot for the intake T would slide into place. It caught on the oil fill tube every time before and I couldn't get a good seal. Since the old tube didn't have any of these C shapes on it, I knew it wasn't important.

So anyway- that was my experience. Might not help anybody, but maybe it will.

Boxster it back on the road and happy- running perfectly with 170K miles on her.

Jona Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:43 AM   #2

Thanks Jona for sharing that and welcome to the forum.

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:10 AM   #3

Where in MN are you located? I am in a NW Minneapolis suburb, but get up to Brainerd International Raceway about 5 times a summer.

ganseg is offline   Reply With Quote