986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   oil leak so I removed the trans.... (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49491)

healthservices 11-17-2013 08:00 AM

oil leak so I removed the trans....

It looks like I have a RMS leaks but I like to take a peak at the IMS. Can I just remove the cover or do I need to lock it in place and mark everything to remove and reinstall the cover?

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-n...116_160939.jpg

Thanks for the advice and info...

Allen

Eric G 11-17-2013 08:17 AM

If you want to pull the IMS plate, you MUST lock down everything unless you are looking to part out your engine components...period.

Jamesp 11-17-2013 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric G (Post 372660)
If you want to pull the IMS plate, you MUST lock down everything unless you are looking to part out your engine components...period.

+1 with a bullet. Otherwise bad things are likely to happen.

healthservices 11-17-2013 08:48 AM

Bummer more labor.

So
1. Remove the IMS cover bolts, rotate motor until holes in the ims holes are solid and insert set screws to hold IMS in place

2. Remove front engine compartment access door, remove the upper cam plugs, mark their placement with a marker.

3. Remove IMS cover.

4. reinsert cover when satisfied or replace bearing as per instructions.

thom4782 11-17-2013 08:58 AM

Nope...you'll need to lock the cams in place. Follow the 1st part of the IMS replacement instructions up where it tells you how to remove the flange. PS: If you've gone that far, you might as well replace the OEM bearing with an aftermarket one since you'll have done most of the work anyway in getting to the bearing.

healthservices 11-17-2013 11:07 AM

How do i go about locking the cams?

Actually this one is not one of my cars. Its for a old forum member (who I will not name) who is on a tight budget.

Yes I recommended it to him, no, as long as it is not leaking or obviously failing he will not do it or the clutch even though it is this far apart.

We all have our limits as to what we can afford. He has set his.

Wilson01S 11-17-2013 02:23 PM

I would recommend reading the various technical articles about IMS bearing replacement on here, and pelican parts before you tackle the job. Or better yet have someone who's done it before do it or at least help. Especially since it's someone else car....if they're on a tight budget they will hate buying a new engine (ask me how I know)! Good luck!

JFP in PA 11-17-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by healthservices (Post 372670)
How do i go about locking the cams?

Actually this one is not one of my cars. Its for a old forum member (who I will not name) who is on a tight budget.

Yes I recommended it to him, no, as long as it is not leaking or obviously failing he will not do it or the clutch even though it is this far apart.

We all have our limits as to what we can afford. He has set his.

Start with this: http://www.imsretrofit.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/imsretrofit.pdf

You are going to need some special tools (cam locks, TDC pin, etc.) in order to do this, and you need to follow the above instructions to the letter except for pulling the bearing, which I would also strongly recommend doing as well as you will be 80% of the way there when you stop otherwise.

Jamesp 11-17-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by healthservices (Post 372664)
Bummer more labor.

So
1. Remove the IMS cover bolts, rotate motor until holes in the ims holes are solid and insert set screws to hold IMS in place

2. Remove front engine compartment access door, remove the upper cam plugs, mark their placement with a marker.

3. Remove IMS cover.

4. reinsert cover when satisfied or replace bearing as per instructions.

Stop it you're scaring me........ This is one of those operations that go horribly wrong (timing slips) and you cannot back out. The nightmare scenario, engine failure. If you go in, plan the entire operation end to end (including contingency bearing replacement) using published directions on doing it or leave it alone. No surprises, no real time learning. If you find the bearing is loose, will you change it? Then why not source a 6204 for a few bucks and plan on changing it out in kind if you go in? You can get another NSK or pick another manufacturer.

evomind 11-17-2013 03:48 PM

I think Ben Franklin said "penny wise and pound foolish."

Jamesp 11-17-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evomind (Post 372692)
I think Ben Franklin said "penny wise and pound foolish."

It's a budget thing...

healthservices 11-17-2013 05:31 PM

Well this is a 2001 model and I believe it is a double roller, Will two 6204 bearings fit? what is the alternative option?

If there is one maybe I can offer it to him. :cheers:

healthservices 11-17-2013 05:34 PM

And yes when there is no money to spend and it is the only car you have to drive... There are not a lot of options.

kjc2050 11-17-2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by healthservices (Post 372714)
Well this is a 2001 model and I believe it is a double roller, Will two 6204 bearings fit? what is the alternative option?

If there is one maybe I can offer it to him. :cheers:

If it's an '01, it likely has a single row IMS bearing.

healthservices 11-17-2013 06:37 PM

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Z...117_190225.jpg

The cover looks pretty shallow ins't this a indicator of whether I have a single or double roll bearing? :confused:

JFP in PA 11-18-2013 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by healthservices (Post 372724)
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Z...117_190225.jpg

The cover looks pretty shallow ins't this a indicator of whether I have a single or double roll bearing? :confused:

That is a dual row set up.

healthservices 11-18-2013 05:59 AM

Thats what I was afraid of. Is there a inexpensive alternative in the bearing market that I can use?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

JFP in PA 11-18-2013 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by healthservices (Post 372761)
Thats what I was afraid of. Is there a inexpensive alternative in the bearing market that I can use?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Sorry, but I do not believe in using the cheapest bearing available in an application that could end up costing you $15K+ if it fails.

healthservices 11-18-2013 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 372763)
Sorry, but I do not believe in using the cheapest bearing available in an application that could end up costing you $15K+ if it fails.

Just looking for alternatives for the guy. Its not all good times for everyone.

Eric G 11-18-2013 06:45 AM

You have a PM...