Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2006, 06:49 AM   #1

Question Replacing Rear Shocks and Front Struts Question

It's time to replace my shocks and I have looked at several options includng the PSS9 system(Very expensive) I'm just 18 and don't think what I recieve from my scholarship would permit me to buy such an expensive equipment. But today I went to the Paragon Products site found that they have two types of shocks,struts at a reasonable price but one says HD and the other Sport. Does anyone know what differences there are between both? They cost the same but diff names. Here are the links for the shocks http://www.********************************************************************.com/product_p/bilstein_vn3-4622.htm
http://www.********************************************************************.com/product_p/bilstein_vn3-4624.htm
Struts
http://www.********************************************************************.com/product_p/bilstein_vn7-4621.htm
http://www.********************************************************************.com/product_p/bilstein_vn7-4623.htm
If anyone has tried these shocks/struts please reply and tell me your feedback on these products. Hope to get some replies out of this!!!

BoxsterRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 09:49 AM   #2

Post Difference Between different shock/struts

After doing a google on the matter, I came up with some handy info from the Bilstein site. This is the link http://www.bilstein.com/ProductDescriptions.pdf
BoxsterRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 11:41 AM   #3

I installed HD bilstein struts in the back of my 97. One was bent so I had to do it.

Feels about the same as before. HD (heavy duty) are what comes standard on a box. Sports are stiffer.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:39 AM   #4

how do you know

when to replace suspension parts...?
BobMarley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley1
when to replace suspension parts...?
Hi,

There's a lot of debate on this. Most feel their suspension getting 'soft' over the miles and so go for replacement. But, your suspension is such a collection of Springs, Bushings, as well as Shocks, that's it's difficult to blame it specifically, or totally, on the Shocks.

In theory, so long as the Shock isn't leaking, it's still good. But, with today's Gas Shocks, leaks are not as detectable (there's no longer just Damping Oil in there), so this may no longer hold as true as it once did.

I will usually replace the shocks on my Performance Cars no later than 50k mi. I rarely simply replace the shocks, I usually also do Bushings and Springs at the same time to get the Max benefit from the whole thing, but that's more a matter of preference than being based on any Hard Rule..

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 09:13 PM   #6

Every time I go over small bumps or rough roads, I feel the annoying "clunk clunk". I've had shock/struts go bad on me before, and after research, it looks as if it's time for my shocks to be replaced.

I'm not looking for better performance, rather maybe something close to stock. I just want a better ride for the right price.

1. Any suggestions on what shocks to buy?
2. Also, would I have to replace my springs too?
ralegen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 05:17 PM   #7

Randell, is your 97 lowered or is it stock height?
Old 04-12-2006, 12:51 PM   #8

first, the difference between the bilstein HD and sport struts is the length, not the damping. damping on the HD is identical to that of the sport model. the sport model was created for cars that have been lowered; the rods are shorter to prevent the damper bottoming because of the modified ride height.

if you are feeling a 'clunk', it's probably not your shocks. more likely, it's the bearing in the strut mount (at the top of the strut tower) or it's a ball joint.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 02:41 PM   #9

At 82K miles, I have a good feeling it's the shocks. I had the same symptoms before replacing some shocks on another car. Maybe the bushings also have some responsiblilty; however, I feel that it is mainly the shocks wearing out. Thanks for your input though!

If I plan on replacing my stock shocks, is Blistein HD the way to go?
Old 04-12-2006, 04:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralegen
Randell, is your 97 lowered or is it stock height?
Stock height, new rear bilstein heavy duty (not sport) struts in the back. I'm guessing the fronts are still original. That will be a 2007 fix.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 04:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralegen
If I plan on replacing my stock shocks, is Blistein HD the way to go?
If you don't have lowering springs, get the Bilstein HD. Alternatively, you could get the M030 shocks and springs for about the same price if you search hard enough.

Also, I know you feel positive that your shocks are causing the clunk, but worn shocks don't clunk. The hardware that they MOUNT to, does. If you replace your shocks, you should also replace the part highlighted with the red arrow in this pic. It is a common source of the clunk. They are around $75 each and can't be removed without a spring compressor, so neglecting to do them now could mean repeating the labor to get to them later.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote