Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 07:15 PM   #1
pjq

She's beating and breathing again

04 S six speed
After I got all the liquids into to her and the battery charged up I couldn't wait for morning I had to TURN THE KEY!
Yesssssssss, she's beating and breathing again!!! Damn they sound good.

With the fuel pump fuse removed I cranked the engine 4 times (build up oil pressure) then replaced the fused, cranked her for real and away she went. I only ran her for about 3-5 minutes.

So what advice do you have for starting and running this engine that has just been rebuilt and only run for 3 - 5 min. . I still need to burp the coolant and bleed the steering.

pjq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:24 PM   #2

Garage
Just open the coolant bleeder valve & top up the level. If the gas is older than 3 months fill the tank with fresh premium. Start the engine & hold rpm at 2000 til it reaches 180 F. Check for leaks & noises.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
pjq

Thanks Bypro, I did that today.
The temperature reached about 190 -200 then settled back to 180. Through the burping process I added another gallon of coolant.
I took it out for a 25 min. drive tonight, running the engine between 2000 -3500 RPM and everthing seemed good.
The coolant level stayed up, good heat from the car heater, the radiator fans cycled on and off, so far no leaks.
I installed the 160 degree thermostat from LN.

pjq is offline   Reply With Quote