Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 07:47 AM   #1

Installed new motor mount

Just finished installing the Lemforder motor mount. Old one was very hard dry and cracked.

Went pretty well.....One question though.
I have a small amount of play in my shifter, only about 1/4 inch or so, but definite movement.

This occurs in any gear moving along when you take your foot all the way off the gas pedal and when
you put your foot back into it.

I am assuming this has to do with some engine and transmission torque movement
but I am wondering if this is normal movement or should I be looking into something else?

Thanks....

Old 06-02-2013, 10:33 AM   #2

maybe the other 2 mounts are toast too?
Old 06-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #3

Hmmmmm.... The trans is cable operated. Is the movement for and aft or lateral? The stock 986 shifter is pretty sloppy in my opinion.

Can you describe the sloppiness? Are you certain it's different than it was before?

More info is needed to give you any meaningful advice.

I just went through this with my car. I installed new mounts, schnell SSK, Schnell billet shift linkage and a GTR shift knob/boot. I had to makea few small cable adjustments to get things where I wanted them, but the end result is very precise shifter, albeit with added resistance from the SSK...
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:36 PM   #4

Can't really explain it any better than I did...
"This occurs in any gear moving along when you take your foot all the way off the gas pedal and when you put your foot back into it." (not sloppiness, just movement when accelerating and decelerating. Not when shifting.

I am just hoping to find out if anyone else driving one of these cars experiences a slight 1/4 inch movement in the shifter while cruising along in gear while letting fully off the gas and then getting on the gas again. You can feel it if you keep your hand on the shifter as well.

I am sure that it is moving with the engine movement. What I am not sure about is if it is normal or if any other drivers can tell me if it happens to them as well...
It did it with the old hardened cracked mount as well...a bit more actually.
Wish I had another one to test drive

Last edited by enroute1; 06-02-2013 at 04:39 PM.
enroute1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:15 PM   #5

OK, I misunderstood. If the shift lever is moving under acceleration/deceleration then the whole drivetrain is moving. I feel no feedback from drivetrain movement in my shifter.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:32 AM   #6

Most that I have driven will exhibit slight movement in first and second gear if you accelerate and lift off the gas and again when you re-accelerate. Afterall, the standard engine mounts are meant to be somewhat flexible in order to isolate vibration. Go to more solid mounts and you can eliminate the issue, albeit while introducing some drivertain harshness. The amount of movement should be slight and 1/4" souinds about right to me.
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:43 AM   #7

On the way home last night I tried to induce some movement in the shifter (hard on and off the gas) and can confirm that it only occurs in first and second gear - and the movement is likely a bit less, but certainly no more than 1/4".

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:23 AM   #8

Been away for a while........

Thanks for the feedback!

I have now checked the trans mounts and they appear dry and solid with no perceivable movement.

shadrach74 and southernstar, am I right in guessing you have the the stock oem motor mount in your car?

Since some other cars here experience this slight movement and since I have installed a new unworn stock motor mount,
with movement, would it be correct to assume that all stock mounted motor mounts in the Boxster should have some movement??