Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 05:15 PM   #1

Garage
Melting fuses question

Anyone have an idea why my car is melting fuses? About a month ago the heater blower fuse melted. I mean it was a glob of melted plastic and one of the blades and broken off and was still in the fuse block. I had to carefully fish it out and replaced the fuse with a new one. 2 weeks ago same thing happened to the fuel pump fuse only this time it melted onto the fuse block. I had the car towed to the dealer and waiting for a new fuse block from Germany. I have never experienced anything like this with any car I ever owned. Just wondering what would cause this to happen.

mikesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:51 AM   #2

have you had the alternator checked?
Old 05-30-2013, 10:57 PM   #3

Might be a bad connection or a bad bit of wire that's heating it up. I'm a domestic appliance engineer and that's the most common cause for burnt out switches and thermostats.
GemballaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:43 PM   #4

^^^^
I'm with Phil - the usual culprit is a loose or poor high resistance connection (the fuse's spade connector springs to mind).
Most times its obvious when you pull the fuse / connection block as you can see the burnt PVC insulation & discoloured copper where the heat started.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #5

Garage
Inskip said the some moisture must have gotten to the fuse panel at some point and corroded some wires and fuses. Replaced the parts with new ones $30 parts $400 in labor.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:15 AM   #6

Garage
Happened again to me this past weekend. The car started to overheat, light was going on but fortunately I was close to home. checked the fuses first thing cause I thought I smelled an electrical smell and the 2 fuses for the radiator fans were blown. one was just blown the other was partially melted. when I looked at the blades they seemed somewhat corroded. could it be just the corrosion is causing the issue and replacing the old fuses with new ones will take care of the melting fuse problem?
Old 07-16-2013, 01:14 PM   #7

Get some CorrosionX and apply to the fuse terminals.
CorrosionX Lubricant/Penetrant, 16 oz. aerosol (90102) : Amazon.com : Automotive
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #8

Are all of the fuse blades corroded? When did you buy your car and are there any indications that it's been in a flood????
Old 07-26-2013, 06:36 AM   #9

Garage
No signs of flood damage. cannot use anti-corrosion there is damage to the fuse block. anyone know a reputable, good automotive electrical shop in ri?
Old 08-30-2013, 09:31 AM   #10

Garage
Hi all, when I checked out the fuses there was some corrosion so water damage yes. I replaced all the fuses with new ones. My cooling fans kept blowing fuses. When I checked my right fan wasnt working at all. So I replaced it and now its fine. the left one only works on the High cycle leading me to belive the balast resister is toast. Bought a new fan and resistor and going to replace the left fan.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:44 AM   #11

So now you have a new fuse block and new fuses, right? Hope there's no leaks above the block.