Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 03:12 AM   #1

facelift dash in a pre-facelift 986

there is a dark blue dash on ebay which i am watching. it is a facelift dash with the lower glove compartment. it comes with the speedo cover and the airbag cover.

i purchased a carbon horseshoe stereo surround some time ago not realising it was for a facelifted dash and i've tried to sell it to no avail. now i am thinking i could kill 2 birds with 1 stone, buy the dash, fit the stereo surround and gain a glovebox out of it?

the only question i have is, does the facelift dash fit a pre-facelift boxster in terms of mounting holes, airbag lining up etc.

and also has anyone done a dash swap of any kind, and if so, how hard was the swap?

koosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:17 AM   #2
Carnut

I think it is do able. Somewhere on the net is a thread about this, maybe even here!
Old 03-26-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
1999 base

Garage
i think it should fit with no issue.
you will need to get a different cup holder as well, to fit in the horseshoe surrounding.
the process itself is not that bad (if you know the location of all the screws), but it does require removing a lot of parts. takes some time, but not that difficult.

http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/37245-dashboard-cover-removal.html
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #4

I thought the impact bar behind the dash was shaped differently/notched to allow the addition of the glovebox on the '03- dash?
Old 03-26-2013, 05:17 PM   #5
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tightbox View Post
I thought the impact bar behind the dash was shaped differently/notched to allow the addition of the glovebox on the '03- dash?

You are correct.
Just took a look at the parts diagram.
The part number for the 03-04 is different, and cost around $250.
Sorry if my previus post was missleading.
If it was me doing it I whould probably find a way to "gently" modefie it

Last edited by Meir; 03-26-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:06 AM   #6

thanks for all the helf thus far guys! i found your project PDF Meir, it doesnt look overly bad, i feel as if i am competent enough to do the swap on a free day.

i think i may just buy it and keep it as a summer project could you look and see if said impact bar is removable Meir? maybe even post a diagram to see how differently they are shaped if thats not too much to ask if it is removable i may even try and find a breaker that is breaking a boxster and get a facelift impact bar on the cheap

thanks again guys!
Old 03-27-2013, 04:36 AM   #7

dash update q's

Anyone got the part number for this impact bar?(2003-2004) I've got to pull the dash at some point to at least re-stretch the leather, and I'd like to go ahead and do this swap instead? Also,anyone know if I can keep my slanted switches around the center stack when I update the dash itself? I like the slanted look, it is very "boxster", and since I'll likely go to a 996 cluster with the dash swap, I'd prefer to retain some vestige of the car's origins evident in the dash look. Plus my center stack surround pieces that hold the slanted switches are covered in matching leather... And will I need to replumb some of the AC vents, or is this only to update the center stack? Thanks all.
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:14 AM   #8
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by koosh View Post
thanks for all the helf thus far guys! i found your project PDF Meir, it doesnt look overly bad, i feel as if i am competent enough to do the swap on a free day.

i think i may just buy it and keep it as a summer project could you look and see if said impact bar is removable Meir? maybe even post a diagram to see how differently they are shaped if thats not too much to ask if it is removable i may even try and find a breaker that is breaking a boxster and get a facelift impact bar on the cheap

thanks again guys!
yes, the bar is removable.
take a look at step 3 of my project:
http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/37246-c-evaporator-replacement-c-foam-flakes.html
unfortunately, the diagram shows only one drawing for the various types of bars (called "knee protection strip" BTW )
there are to part numbers for the 03-04:
996 552 192 00 for RHS steering wheel.(UK)
996 552 191 01 for LHS steering wheel.(US)

this is the link for the diagram:
Porsche Boxster Dashboard Trim Parts

part number 8.

Last edited by Meir; 03-27-2013 at 06:20 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:44 AM   #9
1999 base

Garage
OK.
digging more in to it, it looks a little bit more complicated.
if you want to use your horseshoe piece (part#19), you will need also to replace the air vents (part#18)
Porsche Boxster Accessories Dashboard Trim Parts

and also part#2 in this diagram (the air channels behind the air vents)
Porsche Boxster Heating Parts

looks like the switches will seat honorarily with this setup (to answer BL question)
Old 03-28-2013, 12:24 PM   #10

Let me know if you are able to modify the existing bar. I've wanted to update the dash to match my updated '03 top.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightbox View Post
Let me know if you are able to modify the existing bar. I've wanted to update the dash to match my updated '03 top.
going by Meir's pdf how to's the bar looks to be of aluminium construction so i dare say it CAN be altered, its just whether you choose to? i think i'd rather see a facelift bar first and make my decision based upon that