Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 06:12 AM   #1

How to eliminate excessive camber wear?

So I am pretty sure the answer to this question is adjustable control arms but not 100%. If so, could you guys please steer me in the right direction as to which ones to purchase. I have a 2006 987 5-speed that I bought used and has an after market suspension. Also, is this something that can easily be done or do you need special tools?

LJ24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:40 AM   #2

IMHO, have your suspension properly set up. unless you're obscenely low (coilovers max'd out like a tool), the factory alignment bolts should be able to correct the issue, or you could buy the factory suspension and not have to worry about it at all as these cars are usually 4" from the ground to begin with.

i purchased my 986 used and it has "lowering" springs all around but it still aligns correctly as they aren't worn out, is properly aligned, and running factory wheels.
cameronzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:38 AM   #3

When you say excessive camber wear, do you mean the insides of the rear tires are worn more than the outside? If so, its usually not camber (assuming its within spec) but the toe. Try to get it as close to zero as you can and that will usually eliminate inner tire wear on the rears.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

As cameronzero suggested, start by having a competent shop perform an alignment. Tell them what the problem is and they should be able to adjust the alignment settings to address your concerns.

Undertand that everything is a tradeoff: The previous owner of your car probably had the alignment set to achieve as much negative camber as possible to improve cornering. Reducing negative camber to reduce the uneven tire wear will result in poorer handling in corners. Be sure that you're willing to accept this tradeoff.

With that being said, there is a chance that the parts and resulting geometry of the aftermarket suspension (you did not specify exactly what components are installed) do not have sufficient range in adjustment to adequately compensate for the uneven tire wear. In this case, adjustable front control arms MIGHT be the solution, but there are likely other solutions just as well. Talk to a competent shop about what changes make the most sense to acheive your goals.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 03-21-2013 at 06:32 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #5

How to eliminate excessive camber wear?

It was lowered by previous owner and has progressive springs. Ground clearance is only 3.25". Shop states all adjustment that can be done is and still way out of adjustment. Tires bald inside. 4"
LJ24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:05 PM   #6

I don't know why people want to "slam" these cars as low as they will go. It completely screws up the suspension geometry. You need to raise your car back up to about the M030 ride height before you can get everything to work right.

And GT3 arms are not the answer. If you take out all the shims, they have the same dimensions as a stock control arm. I don't know if camber plates can work in the "wrong direction" or not.

Fix your ride height, then get a proper alignment.

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
SPB racer

Garage
Put track tires on it, take it to the track and drive it hard. Otherwise, raise it back up to a sensible height and the camber will start to sort itself out. By the time it approaches standard then normal adjustments will work fine.

If you insist on keeping it low but want to drive it slower than the camber requires then I suspect you will need to cut and shut (shorten) your bottom arms. It may also be possible to skim a couple of mm off the GT3 arms and assemble them without shims (it would be mighty expensive, may not provide sufficient positive camber and I do not think very smart). You may also be able to slot the top mounts outwards a little (still not very smart).

Best bet definitely would be set up the suspension to suit what you are using the car for. Street driving does not require massive chamber or over-lowering.
Jittsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #8

How would one go about raising it back up to stock? This is my car, son also posting Since prior owner performed this I have no idea what one does to lower so don't know how to reverse it? 101 projects book?

Thanks Jetty
jetty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #9
Rennzenn

Garage
Are you getting excessive wear on the fronts, rears, or both?
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetty1 View Post
How would one go about raising it back up to stock? This is my car, son also posting Since prior owner performed this I have no idea what one does to lower so don't know how to reverse it? 101 projects book?

Thanks Jetty
If the non-stock suspension is coilovers, then the spring perches will have threaded adjustable collars than can be turned to raise the ride height back up normal. There are special wrenches for this, but some people also use a punch or screw driver and hammer. If they are present, there will be two threaded rings, with the bottom ring acting like a locking nut against the top ring.

The Porsche shop manual has specifications for ride height measured from certain struts and fasteners on the bottom of the car. It would be meaningless to repeat here without diagrams. From what I have found, the distance measured from the wheel center directly up to the wheel arch should be at least 14", and the rear should be slightly more than the front.

If you don't have coilovers, then the P.O. must have just changed the springs, which you will now need to change back.

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #11
Track rat

Garage
First, start at the beginning and carefully diagnose the problem.

What is wearing excessively? Front or rear tires, inside or outside edges?

What suspension system was added exactly?

What are your current alignment specs?

Only when these questions are answered can we make useful suggestions other than vague wild guesses as to a solution to your problem other than: "Return it to stock".
Old 04-18-2013, 04:36 AM   #12

Thanks to everyone who responded. I will get the current allignment specs from the shop. The wear is much greater on the back than the front. On the back the wear is on the inside of the tire and progressed from the outside edge to the middle third in 1200 miles.

jetty1 is offline   Reply With Quote