Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #1

Garage
Alarm issues!

Hi all,
Does anyone know if you can disable the alarm system on the 986?
We have had loads of issues with the alarm fob and a replacement key cost is crazy!
As the car is only used every weekend we would prefer to disconnect if possible?
Opening the car with the key is fine for us, but my wife hates the 10 seconds before the alarm trips - arrrgghh!

Any thoughts of if it can be disconnected?

Old 03-15-2013, 05:59 PM   #2

I don't know if you can disable the an alarm.

In the US, one can purchase a new key head with electronics for about $130. It costs about $50 to have a dealer or independent mechanic program the new key. If you're 100% sure that the key is the problem, you may just need to go the new electronics path.

If, however, the problem is caused by a failing interior sensor, you can disable it by quickly pressing the lock button on the remote twice. Or you can quickly turn the key in the door lock twice.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:45 AM   #3

Garage
Hi,
Its the key head that was faulty, it does emit a signal now but I can't get itto sync with the car and rather than continue to pay a stealer more cash,I would rather use the cash on something useful!
Old 03-16-2013, 05:02 AM   #4

Hopefully, someone can answer your question directly.

When I had alarm system problems, it seemed the key would not work properly. Sometimes it would work and other times the horn would beep twice. So I replaced both key heads, but that did not fix the problem. As it turned out, a passenger door micro-sensor was failing and the central locking system thought sometimes that the door was out of synch with other signals.

Do you get a double beep or does the horn blair like someone is breaking into the car? If its the latter, try the double trick and see if the problem stops. If it does, the issue is likely a sensor gone bad rather than a broken key
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:40 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by srad34 View Post
Hi all,
Does anyone know if you can disable the alarm system on the 986?
Any thoughts of if it can be disconnected?
I was in the same position -- I primarily use a non-remote enabled key, and the 10 second delay before the alarm sounds is annoying (BTW, if you just put the key in and turn it to the Accessory position, the alarm won't sound)

Regardless, I just disconnected the alarm HORN -- the lights still flash, but it is FAR less annoying -- plus, living in the city, car alarms are just annoying -- no one actually pays any attention to them - IMO, they are completely worthless. Now if they armed an auto-taser, that would be different :-)

But I digress -- If you want to disconnect the alarm horn (which is separate from the main horn) open the frunk, remove the cowl that covers the battery, and the alarm horn is to the right of the battery (facing the windshield from the front bumper). It is easy to disconnect -- just one connector to remove. It's a very easy job.

[edit] -- here's a picture from another thread:
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/36595-boxster-s-alarm-keeps-going-off.html

Last edited by 2003S; 03-16-2013 at 05:43 AM.
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote