Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 11:43 PM   #1

Universal Air Intake ?

Hi guys

last night i removed the air box on my 03 2.7 boxster and fitted a universal air filter, i left the MAF where it was but i am now having some problems. I belive it is running too lean and if you rev the engine and let it drop back down to idle it sometimes dies or goes very low, and when cold it stumbles badly making pulling away rather difficult! the air box was damaged by the previous owner and i have a new one on order but i do like the difference in performance the air filter gives, any ideas?

Peter

boxster91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:14 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster91 View Post
Hi guys

last night i removed the air box on my 03 2.7 boxster and fitted a universal air filter, i left the MAF where it was but i am now having some problems. I belive it is running too lean and if you rev the engine and let it drop back down to idle it sometimes dies or goes very low, and when cold it stumbles badly making pulling away rather difficult! the air box was damaged by the previous owner and i have a new one on order but i do like the difference in performance the air filter gives, any ideas?

Peter
change it back to the original.

What kind of performance are you seeing when your engine dies or stumble?
SF-Rockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:59 AM   #3

It revs up a lot faster and sounds a hell of a lot nicer, i have been told to reset the ecu and take it on a long drive and the car should relearn the new air/fuel mixture and fix the problem
Old 02-06-2013, 06:44 AM   #4
Homeboy981

Garage
Clean the Throttle Body. Disconnect the battery first! Check the vacuum system while there.

When done you will have reset the values that were stored, and the computer will "re-learn" your driving parameters. Takes about 100 miles to get the engine acting 100% right again!

I go down dirt roads (I know it's a Porsche, not a Jeep - but that is where the houses hide out) and have to clean my TB every OTHER MONTH! It exhibits symptoms like you described when it is in need of attention. It starts with a shaky idle, then sputters a little and degrades from there.

How was the airbox damaged by PO?

I installed a proper non-factory intake and am putting out much more HP. Is that what you mean? Some around here will swear by stock intakes…sounds like you have another problem going on.

Got a pic?
Old 02-06-2013, 08:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeboy981 View Post
Clean the Throttle Body. Disconnect the battery first! Check the vacuum system while there.

When done you will have reset the values that were stored, and the computer will "re-learn" your driving parameters. Takes about 100 miles to get the engine acting 100% right again!

I go down dirt roads (I know it's a Porsche, not a Jeep - but that is where the houses hide out) and have to clean my TB every OTHER MONTH! It exhibits symptoms like you described when it is in need of attention. It starts with a shaky idle, then sputters a little and degrades from there.

How was the airbox damaged by PO?

I installed a proper non-factory intake and am putting out much more HP. Is that what you mean? Some around here will swear by stock intakes…sounds like you have another problem going on.

Got a pic?
it was running perfectly before, my alarm goes off when i try to disconnect the battery :@ how do i get around this?

Tags
air filter , maf