Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-13-2005, 11:34 AM   #11

Over oilling is the biggest problem with oiled filetrs like K&N. The mass on the Boxster is very close to the fileter.
Hmmm, I have nearly 20K miles on my Boxter with a K&N. No problems at all. The intake is a louder than just desnorkling.
Performance gains I can't tell any differance. So, with that said I will most likely put the stock fileter back in at the next cleanning(witch it's about time now). Not worth it to me and do not want to take a chance of screwing up the MASS.
I don't go for the shorttning of engine life. Makes sense that it may allow more dirt through. Maybe it dose maybe it dose not. How ever I have had K&N on 2 previous 928's one of witch was on their for 5 years as a daily driver. No, problems and compresion was still good when I sold it(did not check before hand)
Also, have a very good freind who had a 89 928GT(yes, I had one to) and at around 60k miles he put one in. Near 8 years later and 184K miles the car still ran perfect(car got totaled).
Also, had a Nissain Altima several years ago that ran with a K&N from about 80K miles to 197K miles when I sold it. Car was haveing issures, but engine was still sound.
So, dose a K&N realy shorten engine life? Maybe, but if it dose it must not be by very much. This of course is my opinion.
Would be nice if some Consumer Co. could do a study on that so we could no for sure.
Personaly I have about given up on K&N anyway as no car that I have ever had with it any realy seemed to make a diffence to me. Just improved the sound a bit.

Richard
my89_928gt is offline   Reply With Quote