Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2005, 01:24 PM   #1

Leg Room in two different Boxsters

Hi, I am a newbie and about to purchase a 2002 Boxster Tiptronic, I recently test drove two different Certified Preowned Boxsters on Porsche Dealer lots, A Blue Boxster and a Gray Boxster both '02's with Power Seats. Before sitting in either Boxster I made sure the seat was all the back, as low as possible and as far as it could go(because I am 6 foot 3 inches tall). While test driving the Blue Boxster my right leg prevented my right hand from turning the steering wheel all the way. When I sat in the Gray Boxster I immediately noticed that I had much more leg room and (probably about an inch or two-for tall people that makes all the difference in the world) while test driving the Gray Boxster my right leg didn't hamper my driving at all and I was much more comfortable in the seat, does anyone have any idea why this is? I asked the service technician at the dealer and he said that in late '02 Porsche put out a second version on the Boxster that magically had a bit more leg room, have any of you ever heard of this? Does anyone have any idea why I would have had more leg room in one verse the other? Was the service guy making this up to push the sale? Both were identical 2002 Tiptronics with power seats, the only difference was the color and the mileage. Please help PS Great Site

joshua6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 01:40 PM   #2
bmussatti

joshua6060, was the sterring wheel in the exact same location too?

If you really want good leg room, the 987 Boxster will be a big improvement over the 986, for tall drivers.

I see you are from New Orleans. I hope you are doing well. Make sure that car did not have any water damage. I have heard a lot of news stories about that going around.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:49 PM   #3
olly986

the set up for up and down seat is manual to the best of my knowledge so it does't matter if you had the seat back all the way it might not have been on the same level
Old 11-07-2005, 01:49 PM   #4
bmussatti

one other thing to consider, the angle of the actual seat-back also effects how far back the seat can travel, because the seat-back will hit the back of the engine compartment at different points, therefore effecting the travel distance.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
one other thing to consider, the angle of the actual seat-back also effects how far back the seat can travel, because the seat-back will hit the back of the engine compartment at different points, therefore effecting the travel distance.
The best thing to do to get it all the way down and back is to move the seat back to the straight up position, move the seat forward a touch then move it down all the way. That way you'll hit bottom. Next slide the seat back all the way and then move the seat back to the angle you want it. Be careful because when the seat back starts to hit the wall it pushes on the seat back joints. You can bend things if you keep going after it hits.

1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote