Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2005, 07:07 AM   #1

Question Sound system...

I was wondering if anyone had installed rear sound system components in their Boxster. What were the issues? I have the basic system now in a 2001 Boxster (6 disc changer) and would like to upgrade.

Thanks for the feedback.

AtlantaBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 10:35 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaBoxster
I was wondering if anyone had installed rear sound system components in their Boxster. What were the issues? I have the basic system now in a 2001 Boxster (6 disc changer) and would like to upgrade.

Thanks for the feedback.

I have rear speaker kit that came stock with my car, I just recently upgraded the entire system. Focal 5ws 5" subs in the doors. 2 way componets in the dash, and upgraded the 3.5" rears as well. I would have to say the rear speakers do make a big difference in sound. I would highly recommend them.
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 02:45 PM   #3
olly986

Wink

have original rear speakers on my S and didn't have in my previous box and the sound is most definitely better, had a look the other day while washing the rear storage box, there is just a cable connected behind the seats and the two speakers sits in this storage compartment, should be easy to upgrade, maybe even cheaply if you can find second hand part
Old 11-03-2005, 03:16 PM   #4

rear speakers

I had rear speakers installed on my Hi Fi option MOST system(03). They really added alot over the HI FI system. The speakers and wiring ect. were about $200 and I had them install for about $150, I think.
:dance:
Old 11-03-2005, 03:49 PM   #5

The speakers that come with the basic system are worth upgrading as well and are fairly easy to DIY:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=6617

I did it last weekend, it makes a huge difference.

HTH,
Larez2
larez2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 11:04 AM   #6

Rear speakers?

Thanks for the feedback. I have looked at the car and currently do not have speakers in the back. Is there any additional equipment I need to get to install speakers in the back. I am looking forward to upgrading the system. The front mount speakers that came stock are weak and underperform. It is interesting that someone would get a six disc changer and not opt in for a better speaker system.

Thanks again for the feedback.
AtlantaBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 09:08 PM   #7

TriGem2K: Could you describe in a more detail about your sound system? I'm thinking to upgrade but really in the dark as what to get. Watts, Inches, model number (speakers, subs, amps), location/positioning etc would be very helpful.

Anbody has a Mcintosh setup in the boxster? or has any comments about this brand?

Thank you in advance!
Old 11-05-2005, 11:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by threpwood
TriGem2K: Could you describe in a more detail about your sound system? I'm thinking to upgrade but really in the dark as what to get. Watts, Inches, model number (speakers, subs, amps), location/positioning etc would be very helpful.

Anbody has a Mcintosh setup in the boxster? or has any comments about this brand?

Thank you in advance!

Ummm...Where to start....

My first upgrade was the Pioneer Avic-N2 Navigation system/Headunit. I removed the entire old system. My car came stock with the Upgraded Hi Fi Package which includes a DSP unit. Pulled out the factory amp and cd changer but left the wiring for everything in placing making sure I could put everything back to stock if I wanted to. Also left the DSP in its place above the batwing.

My dash runs Focal K2 components 4" woofer with a 1" tweeter. The doors run Focal 5WS 5" subwoofers (they are true subs not mids). I replaced the 4 factory rear speakers with JL Audio TR350 3.5" speakers (Cheap speakers but I found it very hard to find 3.5" speakers). On the floor in the passenger foot well is an 8" JL Audio 8W7 (You can find a harder hitting sub than that) which I made removable as it is discomforting to passengers over 5'8". The dash, doors, and rears are run off a Six Channel (just like the factory amp) JL Audio Amp. The 8" sub has a mono JL Audio amp just for itself.

The system sounds awesome with or without the 8" in the foot well. I and many others think the 8" is over kill, but i just had to do it as I cant stand kids my age pulling up to me in Hondas bumping there system trying to show off.

Attached are pictures of the amp set up if your interested in looking at it.

As far as pricing is concerned:

1. Pioneer Avic N2 Navigation - MSRP $2,000.00
2. Focal K2 Component 4" with 1" tweeter - MSRP $619.00
3. Focal 5WS 5" Subwoofers - MSRP $249.00 EACH!
4. JL Audio TR350 3.5" Speaker - MSRP $70.00 (2sets needed)
5. JL Audio e6450 - MSRP $450.00
6. JL Audio 250/1 - MSRP 450.00

Installing the amps took about an entire weekend to complete as i am a perfectionist when it comes to this stuff.

Installing the speaker was extremely time consuming as nothing just drops in, Porsche is a pain in the ass, nothing is a standard size, if u want everything to fit in factory grills and such u have to work with it a little bit.

Hope this info helps... Oh and by the way IT WAS ALL WORTH IT.

~James~
Old 11-06-2005, 05:58 AM   #9

Thank you for the detailed update. Your audio system is excellent!

I checked the prices today and found that similar set up will cost almost double in the market here, for example, TR350 is about $150 and e6450 is about $900! K2 4'' will cost about $1400. Maybe I could get speakers and amps in the States and shipped here to reduce cost...

Do the rear speakers come standard in boxster? I don't think there are any rear speakers on mine.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by threpwood
Thank you for the detailed update. Your audio system is excellent!

I checked the prices today and found that similar set up will cost almost double in the market here, for example, TR350 is about $150 and e6450 is about $900! K2 4'' will cost about $1400. Maybe I could get speakers and amps in the States and shipped here to reduce cost...

Do the rear speakers come standard in boxster? I don't think there are any rear speakers on mine.

I dont think they do, but you can buy the kit for about $225.00. There is a gentalmen on ebay who sells an aftermarket kit that is better than the factory and makes upgrading the speakers much easier in the future. Check that out...

Boxster Rear Speakers on Ebay

Also just to let you know a lot of the stuff i put in my car some people may consider overkill. Im sure you can get good sound from products that cost much less. Focal is a great company and their stuff is awesome yet pricey. The stuff i bought isnt even from their highest line!
Old 11-06-2005, 07:09 PM   #11

I think I'm going to order the rear speaker kit. Thanks!
Old 11-07-2005, 07:03 PM   #12

Ordered the rear speaker kit with Infinity Kappa 32.7cf speakers upgrade today. Hopefully these aren't that hard to install
Old 11-08-2005, 09:39 AM   #13

Threpwood, I do hope you understand that the speaker kit sold on ebay DOES NOT come with the rear storage compartment in which it resides.

You'll need to buy one of these from a dealership ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$) or used from Ebay when they pop up in your color, or buy one in any color and have the carpet replaced by a trim shop (usually cheaper and faster than waiting for your interior color to roll around).

I bought one for a red interior boxster and dyed the carpet a nasty reddish black color. I'm eventually going to have an upholstry shop tear off the red carpet and replace it with black carpet that matches my faded black interior.

Rear storage compartments are rarely sold on Ebay, so when they come up for auction, especially ones in black (which works with every interior color), they sell for a whopping amount... for silly plastic anyway.

And to comfort you, no, rear speaker kits are not hard to install, just time consuming and the install requires patience and a cool head. If you're smart enough to earn the income to buy a Boxster in Japan, you're certainly smart enough to do this project yourself if you're willing to tackle it!

You have to very carefully cut out or break off the cubby holes in the standard rear storage compartment to fit the speaker grills. Wiring is easy. Just put it under the rear carpet piece behind the passenger seat, run it along your center console (tuck the wire up from the bottom of the passenger side) and plug it into your factory head unit... unless you have the factory unit that has the speaker plugs in the amp in the trunk. That makes it harder because you have to go through the firewall.

Instructions should come with your speaker kit for part of the install. Post your questions on this forum if you get stuck, but add pictures so we can quickly help you!

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 11-08-2005 at 09:45 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 10:02 PM   #14

Fortunately mine already has a rear storage compartment with 2 holes on the side (should be for the speakers and grills). Interior is black so should fit just fine.

I can honestly say that I have "zero" experience in installing car speakers, but I'm not going to let the shop get all the fun and my $ this time!

The kit should get here in 4 days. Will definitely post some pictures to make sure that I get everything right.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:20 PM   #15

Just FYI, www.tweeks.com has the kit on sale for 200 clams. Best price hands down.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 10:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Just FYI, www.tweeks.com has the kit on sale for 200 clams. Best price hands down.
That is for the stock kit...The one on ebay gives your the flexablity of upgrading speakers in the future. THe stock kit is one size, Its some a 3.32" speaker and 3.5" does not fit in there.

Ebays fits any 3.5" speaker.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:55 PM   #17

Here is the picture of the rear speaker kit with Infinity Kappa 32.7cf. The vendor said that the speaker has quite a depth and the crossover is separate (noted the silver box at the corner). It is a tight fit.