Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2005, 01:58 PM   #1

Sport Touring exhaust

Just got the Boxster S back from having a bit of service done (right rear wheel bearing needed replacement). I'd asked them to also look for a rattle that we could hear on take off - more from the curb than the drivers seat.

What they told me was that the "baffles" of the factory Sport Touring exhaust were never hooked up - from the description the service gent gave me it sounds like these are electrically controlled. Although this was a factory option - he didn't feel it was a warranty item - so his price is $1000 to "fix" it.

Anyone want to enlighten me as to what this system is supposed to do (I would imagine it's designed to "open" up exhaust restriction based on certain criteria), and are there any options as to working around it.

Thanks!

Old Fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 05:43 PM   #2

I don't know what it does, but if it was an option that's supposed to be hooked up they need to take care of it for free. Talk to the service manager about it and if he says no go to the regional marketing representative. They are the most concerned with keeping customers happy.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 08:22 AM   #3

I should probably clarify that I'm the second owner - although the car was originally bought from the same dealer (Walters in Riverside, CA)
Old Fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 08:44 AM   #4

I think with the PSE there is a quiet mode and a sport mode. In quiet mode (activated by an installed switch on the dash,) the baffle closes off the bypass. Perusing the various newsgroups, it seems that there are quite a few self-installs where the electronic baffle control is not connected, effectively leaving the PSE in sports mode full-time.

P.S.

In this case, there was loose parts:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t5135.html

More info from Tool Pants:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=302&#

Last edited by 98Boxster98; 10-24-2005 at 09:10 AM.
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote