Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2005, 06:59 PM   #1

remote problem

my remote just stopped working one day it blinks as if there is plenty of battery power and the module in the dask blinks quite steadily when i push the lock button. any one else has such a problem

dglidden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 07:09 PM   #2

Hi,

If you haven't used the Car for 120 Hours (approx. 5 days), the Remote works perfectly, but the Car isn't listening for it anymore as this draws power and the power saver mode has kicked in shutting off the receiver in the Car.

To reactivate this, you need to open the locked door with the key one time and the power saving function will cease and the remote will work again. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 12:33 AM   #3

I have the same problem. Happened after we came off a 2 week holiday. Now remote flashes busily but does not operate. You can enter the car using the key and must light up the ignition within a few seconds or the alarm kicks in.

This issue seems to occur if you've not used the car for a few days OR you've accidentally pressed the remote more than 256times.

Past advice (which hasnt yet worked for me) includes:

a) turn on ignition. turn off ignition. press remote within 6 seconds. (apparently works if the remote has been pressed 256-1024times)

b) take out remote battery, wait 10secs. replace remote battery in reverse polarity for 3 seconds. replace remote battery the right way around. (I know it sounds dodgy but this is a Porsche Technical fix)

Anyway, I tried both and neither works!!!!

Any other ideas?
tuizner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 07:16 AM   #4

My opinion is the remote system just sucks.

You've got it right with the 256 times pushing the button with no response. It wipes the remote's memory and you have to re-calibrate.

The problem is, the system or key one starts to screw up. I'm not sure which, but it happens intermittently.

Mine will work fine one day from 20'-30' away, the next from only 2'-3' then the next not at all unless I'm on a certain side of the car. I have not tried the TSB fix for extending the range yet, but I'm beginning to believe it's because of where the receiver antenna is placed.

Has anybody done the TSB fix? What kind of results did you get?
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 11:10 AM   #5

TSB fix

I did and it was very easy, but I don't think it changed the distance very much. My car is a 2003 and the "fix" didn't seem to extend the distance in mine. Porsche may have done something with the antanea already because it was seperated from the othe wires.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:39 PM   #6

fixed?

dglidden,

did you ever find a way to fix the problem?

....same thing is going on with mine...

thanks
luca
lucazuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:00 AM   #7

...well, i tryed both "solutions" but neither worked...

the key-light works/flashes but the car will not respond...

any help?

thanks
luca
lucazuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:40 AM   #8
rav

Thanks guys. Just come back from holiday to find that my car wouldn't respomd to the alarm pad. Opened the door with the key as suggested and tried the keypad again and hey presto...all working!!

THanks a bunch guys :-) Happy Bunny!!
rav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:41 PM   #9

What is the TSB fix?
99Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:37 PM   #10

I finally fixed mine and it's pretty simple. Here's what is going wrong:

When you push the button down, it pushes down on the battery because it's directly under the button. Over time, something in there wears down so when the battery is pushed down it does not make contact with the button's mechanism. The light contacts the battery on the side so it never wears down, so the light blinks but the button is not contacting so it does not work.

Here's what to do:

Take a sandwich bag and cut a strip off the bottom of the bag that's about 1/2" wide. Fold it up and slip it under the battery (on the key side of the case when it's opened). Snap the key head back together and see if it stays shut. If it does not stay shut, cut some of the strip you put in the key head off and re-fold it. Do this until you can click the key head closed and it stays shut. It should barely close but stay clicked shut. This gives the battery a firm base that keeps the inside mechanism from pushing down. Voila....you remote should now work every time you push it. Using the plastic bag is important because it's easy to trim down and it does not conduct electricity.

Unfortunately the range is still not any better unless you perform the TSB fix. The fix is available on AllDataDIY.com, but my membership just ran out so I can't grab it.

Hope it helps!
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:05 AM   #11

Just battery

If the remote doesn't work, and also the key LED light doesn't light... I presume it just means the battery needs replacing?

This just happened to me so I'll change the battery this weekend. The weird thing, though, is that it was an instant stop, not a gradual loss like a battery running out. The remote worked great yesterday, and I think the LED light was just fine. Lets see...
xavier405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 11:09 AM   #12

If a key's battery is flat dead (not even the least bit of charge in it) does the key have to be reprogrammed?

If the answer is yes, and no barcoded tag is available for that key, is it rendered worthless?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 03:51 PM   #13

Cool Remote Problem

Same problem. I changed the batteries in both keys. The internals came apart in one key and the other key remote does not work although the lights blinks strong. The local Porsche dealer says it will cost $500 to reprogram both keys. This is such and easy fix for Porsche and as someone said it is such a poor remote system.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote