Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2005, 12:11 AM   #1

Question Passenger Air Bag

Hi,

Does anyone have experience of deactivating the passenger side air bags to allow the use of a non Porsche childs car seat

hendodavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 04:10 PM   #2

I feel your pain...
I have been looking since July on a way to allow my children to have the Porsche Experience, as it appears Porsche stopped selling the toddler seat for my BoxsterS. Unfortunately there does not seem to be anyone out there with a true solution to disable the passenger airbag. I pester my local dealer weekly waiting for an update on when a seat will again be available for a 986 and they just shrug their shoulders. If you find a viable solution besides e-XXy please post it here.....
tkerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 04:52 PM   #3

I know how it feels. I had a tough time buying a Porsche child seat back in April of this year for a 986. Some dealers told me that they had a backlog and didn't know when they would get them. I even called Porsche to express my concern but since I'm not the first owner of the car, they ignored me. Luckily, one dealer found one in the back buried somewhere.

If it's a 986, you might try ebay. Whenever one does appear, it does go for a premium.

Another option for the 986, is a third party on/off switch:

renntech link

It seems there was a little problem with airbag light, though.

If you have a 987, there's a different approach taken and I believe that it can accomodate non-Porsche child seats. You can view details at the Porsche website under Tequipment.

I learned yesterday that it looks like there will be another approach for 2006:

http://986forum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=28041&postcount=4

I'm disheartened that Porsche doesn't have a higher priority on making a child seat/airbag deactivation switch more readily available.

98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote