Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 06:41 AM   #1

10" wheels and Toyo R888 grip

Hello,

Is there any problems to fit 10x18" ET 47 rear wheels under stock 986 body?

I'm wondering, if I buy another set of 18" wheels. I´ll set up original Cup 3 wheels with Toyo R888 tires and new daily driving wheels with Continental Sport Contacts.

2nd question: how is the grip with USED (50%) Toyo R888 wheels? Is it still a good tire for track day? I will drive just couple of track days per year, that's why I´m looking for a reasonable price-quality ratio...

-riku

riquuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:21 AM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by riquuu View Post
Hello,

Is there any problems to fit 10x18" ET 47 rear wheels under stock 986 body?

I'm wondering, if I buy another set of 18" wheels. I´ll set up original Cup 3 wheels with Toyo R888 tires and new daily driving wheels with Continental Sport Contacts.

2nd question: how is the grip with USED (50%) Toyo R888 wheels? Is it still a good tire for track day? I will drive just couple of track days per year, that's why I´m looking for a reasonable price-quality ratio...

-riku
The quick answer is yes - 18 X 10 +47 offset will fit.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:24 AM   #3
Track rat

Garage
Yes they will fit and you will probably like the tires. Toyo 888s don't survive heat very well so their useful life is shortened here in the southwest. In Finland they should be decent R-comp tires all the way to cord on dry tracks.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:39 AM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

20-25 heat cycles is about the useful life of the R888 here in SoCal. I replaced my set of R888's at 27 heat cycles and there wasn't much grip left in them at that point. When heat cycled out, the tire looses grip and starts to feel greasy and slide around rather than sticking solidly like when new. The tires typically still have a good amount of tread left even though they are heat cycled out and some people use them for practice and testing but use new tires for events/sessions that matter. As long as it feels good on the track, you are fine to drive it to the cord.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:32 AM   #5

riku, what wheels are you looking to get? I will be getting new wheels probably for the Boxster racing car this winter, and if I do then the ones that are on my car now will be for sale (18x10 and 18x8) - they have Michelin Pilot Sport Cup on them and not R888 though...

You can see my Boxster on the PRCF web site

Kroggers is offline   Reply With Quote