Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #1

Garage
CV joints

Has any one sheared all the bolts off their cv joint.

* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:45 PM   #2

Garage
Pulling out of Bank left rear hopped and engine reved but would not go. All six bolts sheared flush to drivers side CV flange. 4 hours of taping drilling twisting and I Got them out. Looking at getting a new hub over the winter. Any one have a thought
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
Old 10-27-2012, 02:14 PM   #3

Garage
Had the bolts been re-used during a boot or CV joint change in the past? You have me worried, because I'm about to replace the boots and I did not order new bolts, just new axle flange nuts.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #4
Ex Esso kid

IMO Whatever happened is not due to using old fasteners.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:12 PM   #5

Garage
The bolts can loosen so use blue loctite & torque properly, if reuseing bolts clean threads before applying blue loctite.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:19 PM   #6

Garage
Personally, I could see this from old (possibly rusted) fasteners rather than loose ones. Loose ones **should** have given some warning via unusual noises.

When I did the CV on mine, I re-used the fasteners, because pelican didn't send new fasteners with the CV joint and boots, but cleaned them with MEK and installed them with blue loctite.
grubinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #7

Garage
All new bolts all new retainers a year ago when transmission was out. Only extra thing done was new grease and boots on transmission ends.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
Has any one sheared all the bolts off their cv joint.
Yep, happened to me a few months ago. I was getting-on-it and grabbed second gear... Bang... Boom... Bang... Thud... Thud... Thud... Driver's side all sheared-off. I have a base Boxster so the bolts are a smaller diameter, but I suspect they were all loose. I installed new bolts and put Loctite on the threads, I have not had any issues since.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:58 AM   #9

Garage
Noise

Jager/jceash,

What bind of noise if any were you getting from normal driving if any prior to the failure.

I've in the past two weeks been getting some vibration/humming out of the Passenger rear at around 70mph, getting louder with decel. Noise isnt tied to the motor rpms but to the wheel rpm. I'm figuring the CV Joints or possible axle bearing so I'm swapping out the lot. (ordered new bolts through Pelican as well).
I'm only a novice mechanic at best, but I've done bearings before.

Haus
Old 10-31-2012, 08:57 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAUSIDMT View Post
Jager/jceash,

What bind of noise if any were you getting from normal driving if any prior to the failure.

Haus
There were no indications of any problems, although my rock-n-roll music might have covered-up any strange noises. ??

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:44 AM   #11

Slightly loose CV bolts can fatigue and shear. After they have been re-fitted it would be good to crawl under and just check to make sure they are tight once or twice. I had bolts back out on my 944 CV's until I was able to get all the grease out of the threads (no fancy caps to hold the grease in the CV)
2009 Triumph Street Triple R - 27K mi - Blazen Orange
1976 Ford F250 camper special - tow vehicle
944boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
There were no indications of any problems, although my rock-n-roll music might have covered-up any strange noises. ??
I had the same issue, I didn't really notice anything (due to loud music also) and one day was heading to work and started hearing the hum/vibration which progressively felt as if it was getting louder. Knowing the history on the car, I know my brother changed out the left side axle assembly, chasing down a noise which turned out to be a bad wheel spacer. So this leads me to believe the passenger side CV and possibly bearing are weraing out also due to their advanced age over the driver side.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:33 PM   #13

Garage
I had no pre warning. The bolt had to be drilled and then I had to use an easy out on all 6. I used blue permatex to install them so they were still in tight.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:57 PM   #14

Garage
I may just add "check the CV joint bolts" to my to-do list this weekend. You guys are making me nervous. :-)
grubinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:25 PM   #15

After I tourque them I mark them with a sharpie, easy to check when doing my pre event nut and bolt.

1999 996, Track Only #996
Everything Jake could upgrade, and more!
ltusler is offline   Reply With Quote