Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 05:45 PM   #1

Headlamp

I noticed the turn signal was flashing faster that normal and though I had a blown bulb, turns out the complete headlamp unit had become loose after riding over a speed bump and had disconnected the elect connection.

I pushed it back in an used the locking mechanism to secure it.

I happened again last night, is there anything I can do to keep it secure? how do I check it is locked in properly?

Thanks, Simon

ferrytrip1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
That connector fastener slide upwards.
It clicks when fully slid up, you could put a tie wrap around the bottom once slid up.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply, but sorry I do not understand what you are saying. The connector I refer to is the main one on the headlamp unit that connects when the unit is slid into position. If this is the one you mean? How would I get a tiewrap to it?

Thanks for any clarification

Simon

Last edited by ferrytrip1; 09-17-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:39 AM   #4

Garage
Simon,

Remove the offending headlamp unit. Look inside the area where the black plastic headlamp mounting plate is, and find the headlamp harness where it passes through the plastic upright at the back of the headlamp mounting plate. There should be a yellow piece of plastic on the backside of the upright that slides up and down. Make sure you push the headlamp connector through the opening, and slide the yellow plastic piece up to secure the headlamp connector in place. As Tony suggested, you may want to place a nylon wire tie somewhere at the base of the yellow plastic clip to keep it in place. Sometimes these yellow plastic clips will vibrate loose and allow the headlamp connector to become lose and make you think that a bulb has burned out. When you're satisfied that the headlamp connector is secure to the upright, slide your headlamp unit back into place, and give it a firm push to make sure the connection is made, before locking the headlamp unit in place.

Hope this solves your problem.

Last edited by Spyderman; 09-18-2012 at 04:54 AM.
Spyderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:44 AM   #5
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Here's a picture of the connector and yellow clip behind the electrical connector.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:46 AM   #6

Now I understand. Thank you for the detail and photo. My bad for not properly describing the problem. The headlamp unit is moving forward with vibration and breaking the contact. So the root cause is more to do with the locking mechanism for the lamp not holding it in place. I was thinking a low tech fix is t wrap tape around the locking bar to make the fit a bit snug.

Maybe i am missing something when I try to lock the lamp unit in place

Thanks, Simon
Old 09-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #7

Do you get a "thunk" noise when you turn the lock mechanism the last little bit?
If you don't hear it, then the lock is not secured all the way. It is a little hard to turn that last little bit to engage the stop detent on the lock.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #8
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnaker View Post
do you get a "thunk" noise when you turn the lock mechanism the last little bit?
if you don't hear it, then the lock is not secured all the way. It is a little hard to turn that last little bit to engage the stop detent on the lock.
+1