Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #1

Damper wear / failure

I am begining to get a bit o damper noise on bump coupled with an increasingly harsh ride....I have my rear tires down to 31 psi to get some compliance back.

Is this an indication of my struts starting to go?

No I am not looking for an excuse for PSS9s.....well maybe

Last edited by jaykay; 09-06-2012 at 11:23 AM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
Yes, your struts are shot and you must buy the PSS9's today or your car will forever run poorly!

Seriously, have you been able to look at the strut and see if you have any oil coming out of the seals? If you are able to compress the rear end of the car with your hand an appreciable distance you are probably seeing the struts go. How many miles on them? My cars died well before the 88K when I bought her and what your describing is what mine sounded like.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #3

No obvious leaks....mainly just the feeling of becoming over damped as they get older.

The car has a harder time absorbing road disturbances
If they were adjustable I would dial them softer
Old 09-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #4

Isn't it the opposite feeling for worn out struts? They become under damped due to lack of fluid and basically become pogo sticks with no resistance
brian325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #5
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
Brian hit it on the money, you get a springy car as the struts fail as the cars load is only carried on the springs.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #6

Yes that would be the normal case.....but others have experienced the opposite with aging dampers (so I have been told)

Plugged metering holes?
Congested orifi anyone?
Old 09-07-2012, 04:29 AM   #7

FWIW, I've had the shaft sieze up on a failed shock bad enough to pull through the top bushing. Granted, it wasn't a strut, or a Boxster, but I imagine it could still happen.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:13 AM   #8
Track rat

Garage
12 yr old car ? They are toast. When we went PSS9 last year my 98 struts at 90k miles were worn out, my brothers 99 with 80k miles were really bad. I don't know how he was able to drive his car.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:18 AM   #9

Yeah...I am loosing confidence in my front end ...stability something is off.

It is likely new struts will settle everything and give adequate roll control.

Suspension design theory seems to suggest that roll control is accomplished with specific anti roll devices to keep the bump and droop soft but I am learning that struts seem to do most of everything on this car with bars as fine adjustments
Old 09-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #10

jaykay, this may or may not help before you spend up big.......
A couple of months ago I pulled my front roll bar and drop links off when I fitted new steering rods. When I removed the droplinks, I noticed that both links looked in good condition (no tears to the rubbers) but the bearings felt very stiff when rotating them on the bench. So I prized open the rubber boots and sprayed in a fair amount of lithium grease - from a pressurised spray can "straw" - into the bearing. They immediately rotated & felt much better with the new lube. So assuming the roll bar rubbers were in the same condition, I removed the rollbar carriers and greased the rubber internal surface with lithium grease too (they were dry).
On the first drive after after assembly the front end of the car felt a lot more compliant than previously - so good that I jacked up the back end and did the same to the rear roll bar rubbers and drop links.
This may not help you with worn out shocks, but I was very pleased with the improvement in road feel compliancy - and my car has only 80,000 km (50,000 miles) on the odo.
This is not a big job - you may even be able to prize open the rubber boots and lubricate with the droplinks in place, but for a couple of hours work the improvement on the road was well worth it - and it may also lengthen the rubber bushes and droplink bearing life too.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:13 AM   #11

Thanks I will have a look at this. I seem to recall my rear bar is okay....it's been in and out by the front has never been touched
Old 09-10-2012, 09:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
12 yr old car ? They are toast. When we went PSS9 last year my 98 struts at 90k miles were worn out, my brothers 99 with 80k miles were really bad. I don't know how he was able to drive his car.
How are guys finding the PSS9s on the street? Happy on the track?

What damper settings are you using on the street and track?