Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
02 box s

maxspeed check engine light fix

for those of us considering installing cat-less headers, has anyone tried the maxspeed mini cats? i will eventually have the ecm flashed, but until the intake side is done i'd like to be able to run w/o the cel from cat removal and i don't want to lengthen the o2 sensor wires to run further downstream. just looking to keep things running right w/o cel until bolt-ons are finished and then i'll have the ecm re-flashed.

btw i did try to search, but couldn't find anything. if there is another thread, kindly link to it. thanks.

brad

sgt brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:21 PM   #2

try just zip-tying the o2 sensors in fresh air - makes the ecu think the cats are working really well.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
02 box s

i may be wrong, but i think that will ruin an o2 sensor pretty quickly. i also thought they had to see some variance. regardless i am willing to spend the money on a patch so that i don't have to have the ecm reflashed twice; once after exhaust mods and again after intake mods. anyone else?
sgt brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:18 AM   #4
SPB racer

Garage
Just so you know. The CEL that comes from not having a correct reading from the O2 sensors does not affect the engine's state of tune. Equally I do not believe it is possible to reflash the ECU to compensate for a lack of CATS.

Radium's solution may work on your car and I have seen it work on many but it does not work on mine so it may not work on yours. As far as I know there is no great risk to damaging the o2 sensor this way. When you think about it they usually reside in a pretty harsh environment.

In the case of my specBox I just let it run with the CEL on (from about 5 different sources) and only get concerned when it starts flashing.
Jittsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:26 AM   #5
SPB racer

Garage
Just so you know. The CEL that comes from not having a correct reading from the O2 sensors does not affect the engine's state of tune. Equally I do not believe it is possible to reflash the ECU to compensate for a lack of CATS.

Radium's solution may work on your car and I have seen it work on many but it does not work on mine so it may not work on yours. As far as I know there is no great risk to damaging the o2 sensor this way. When you think about it they usually reside in a pretty harsh environment.

In the case of my specBox I just let it run with the CEL on (from about 5 different sources) and only get concerned when it starts flashing.

Jittsl is offline   Reply With Quote