Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2005, 01:07 PM   #1

Question Tiptronic Goes Nuts!

Just before I left on my present trip to Chicago (go Cubs!), my Tiptronic transmission went nuts. My wife and I went to dinner in my Box and everything was fine. After dinner, when I started the car, I got a red warning with some sort of bizarre icon and a warning about the Tiptronic. Although I forgot what the message was, the bottom red light on the automatic side and the red light next the the "4" on the manual side kept blinking in an alternating pattern. While I was able to drive it, it stayed in one gear (3rd or 4th). I got home, turned off the ignition, waited a few minutes and started it up again. This time, no problem - I could shift easily and the automatic worked fine.

Any idea what in hell is going on here?

Old 09-15-2005, 04:41 PM   #2
bmussatti

Talking

I think the problem here is that you are a Cubs fan! Go White Sox!! And if they lose early, then go Cardinals!!
Old 09-15-2005, 06:48 PM   #3

Hi,

TipS here too. I hate to be the one to tell you, but the indicators flashing between '4th' and 'M' are a fault indicator. This Fault Indicator has initiated the Emergency Program in the Transmission Control Unit. Straight from the

Owners Manual -

" If there is a fault in the Transmission or the Control Unit, the 4th-gear and Selector Lever Position display Flash altenately. To remedy the Fault, immediately consult an authorised Porsche Dealer. See also Emergency Program"

Emergency Program

" If there is a fault in the Transmission or the Control Unit, the 4th-gear display and Selector Lever display in the Instrument Cluster Flash alternately. Regardless of Selector Position, 4th is the only Forward Gear still available. Adapt your driving habits to the changed situation and bring your car to an Authorised Porsche Dealer for repairs.

CAUTION

Reverse Gear Lock Monitoring is disabled in the Emergency Running Program. Do Not select position 'R' while driving in a Forward direction.

WARNING

Do Not shift into 'R' while the vehicle is moving forward. Damage to the vehicle may result as well as a loss of control, if the vehicle is moving forward fast enough to cause rear wheel lock-up."

Hope this helps.

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 01:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by slogans7

Any idea what in hell is going on here?

This is what Cubs fans ask themselves every year....or is it all Chicago teams fans?
Old 09-16-2005, 02:23 PM   #5

Hi,

The Transmission Control Unit has the ability to store up to 40 fault codes. I would simply keep an eye on it for now and if the problem occurs again, a trip to the Dealer can download the faults and determine the actual cause.

In this case, since you got it working properly and it hasn't reoccured, I'd just chalk it up as a hiccup. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 06:14 AM   #6

Thanks guys. Just back from Chicago (Go Bears!) and the problem hasn't reoccured. I am, however, no longer slamming it into reverse while driving 65.

"Do Not select position 'R' while driving in a Forward direction."

LOL!
Old 10-04-2005, 11:02 AM   #7

Just had a somewhat similar experience:
Accelerating from a stop, the tip stayed in first gear and both the first and second gear lights were on. pulled over. shifted into park. then back into Drive and the same thing happened. Did this twice before the situation magically disappeared and it shifted normally.
A little concerned since this happened on my new 05 with 450 miles on the odometer.
TVC15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 06:03 AM   #8

Hmm, valet doing neutral drops?
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 07:46 AM   #9

Same Prob... Help!

Hi...

I am Brian, and am new to this forum, so bear with me.

Just traded in my SType on a 99 Boxster recently. No warranty, but I am ok, since it isnt the primary driver, and I like challenges...

I read the above posts, and have had a similar set of experiences...

During a drive, the car did the same thing... enabled the "4th gear only" option and kicked the Check Engine lite on. There are no Porsche Service centers within 100 miles of here, so I just went to Auto Zone and had the codes read. It came back with only one code (P0600 Serial Communication Link Malfunction ), which stated generically that the PCM was having trouble communicating with other modules. Also, I had great difficulty re-starting after this little episode. It performed this little dance for me 3 times that day, and has been fine since, until this morning, when it did it again. I havent got to the code yet, as it is thanksgiving and everyone is closed, but I spoke with some people at Porsche Naples yesterday and they said something about a gateway leaving the battery that could have water in it. Also, does anyone know where the freakin ECU is in this car? I want to start tracing out all the electronics, and see if i cant find a short or troublespot. Lastly, is there a separate comp. or controller for the Tip trans? If so, where is it located?

Thanks for tolerating the book I just wrote, and any response would be appreciated.

Brian

99 Box 63K

JebLacey is offline   Reply With Quote