Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 07:24 AM   #1

Garage
New Owner--Should I purchase a Durametric?

Hello All,
I'm a brand new 1999 Boxster owner. I am pretty good with computers, and can figure out some things with cars, but not super handy. More of a construction man.
I have been noticing folks on this forum mentioning codes, and durametric cables. Should I be buying one of these devices to track issues or performance of my new purchase?
I am really enjoying this forum, and learning quite a bit that I didn't know about my Porsche.
Thanks,
Bruce

mistermac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:35 AM   #2

Garage
Welcome to Boxsterdom & the best 986 forum! Yes without doubt the Durametric software is the best tool for hands on Boxster owners.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:00 AM   #3

And when you get it, if the car is running well, be sure to take a snapshot that records all of the readings so that in the future if you have any issues, you can compare the values.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:18 AM   #4

Durametric, Softronic or FDV..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Welcome to Boxsterdom & the best 986 forum! Yes without doubt the Durametric software is the best tool for hands on Boxster owners.
BY, I was also considering buying a software tool that will allow me tp perform more advanced troubleshoting and also being able to modify the possible CEL's, change settings etc, etc.

However, I don't know what would work best for me, the Durametric, the Softronic or the tool offered by FVD Brombacher

My car has the SpeedArt cat back, the great IPD race plennum with the bigger TB and was considering getting headers, but was wondering which of the above mentioned tools would work best for me, unfortunaley my weak point are the computer related programs, therefore easy of use would be a plus for me.

Also, was wondering if these tools have the capability to reflash the ECU or that is anothr different process, and wanted to know if this is a good idea or not based on the mods I already have on the car, as always cash flow seems to be the restrain, therefore the 'best bang for the buck' applies here... lol.

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:26 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Where would be the best place to purchase?

Do I just load the software onto my laptop, and then hook the cable to the laptop then to the boxster underneath the steering column?

BTW, thanks for the help!
Old 08-19-2012, 09:40 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
BY, I was also considering buying a software tool that will allow me tp perform more advanced troubleshoting and also being able to modify the possible CEL's, change settings etc, etc.

However, I don't know what would work best for me, the Durametric, the Softronic or the tool offered by FVD Brombacher

My car has the SpeedArt cat back, the great IPD race plennum with the bigger TB and was considering getting headers, but was wondering which of the above mentioned tools would work best for me, unfortunaley my weak point are the computer related programs, therefore easy of use would be a plus for me.

Also, was wondering if these tools have the capability to reflash the ECU or that is anothr different process, and wanted to know if this is a good idea or not based on the mods I already have on the car, as always cash flow seems to be the restrain, therefore the 'best bang for the buck' applies here... lol.

Gilles, I believe the Durametric is required if you will have a 986 for longer than a couple years so you can read trouble codes & know what is causing the CEL when it comes on, it won't reflash the DME, the Softtronic does & includes the Durametric software too. Power improvements are never cheap for Porsches so any "improvements" are debatable as to whether or not they are worth the cost. I can check your car for trouble codes if that's all you want to do & I'm in CostaMesa. PM me if you want.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermac99 View Post

Do I just load the software onto my laptop, and then hook the cable to the laptop then to the boxster underneath the steering column?

BTW, thanks for the help!
Yes. You download the SW from the Durmetric site to your laptop. The cable plugs into the OBD-II socket under the steering column. The cable verifies the VIN number to allow the SW to work.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:12 AM   #8
Ex Esso kid

TH, Do you need the pro model for 987 applications or will the base unit reset oil changes and the like.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermac99 View Post
Pelican Parts - Product Information: DURA-ENTH-2
bar10dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bar10dah View Post
Thanks for the link bar. Seems they are quite expensive.
Would someone like me with very limited vehicle mechanical experience be able to read and understand the information provided, then actually do something with it?
Looks like folks in this forum are using them for all sorts of things, including turning off air bag lights.
If this tool would really help me, and would be a benefit, I definetly need to purchase one. Seems there are a few for sale occasionally, but snatched up pretty quickly.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #11

I'll be the contrarian here.

No, you don't need the Durametric SW/HW to own a Porsche. What you are seeing here are people with problems..you won't necessarily have problems.

You can generally get by by having access to a good Porsche mechanic. More expensive and not as self satisfying as doing it yourself but you do save the money on tools.

Next option is see if a nearby auto parts house will read the codes for you if you have some sort of problem or you have a solid check engine light (flashing, you stop and get it towed to a mechanic).

Or do you have a friend who already has code reading capability? The local car nut?

Next would be a simple code reader. Not nearly as capable as the Durametric but gives you access to many of the more common diagnostic codes the Boxster puts out. Unless you have some experience in trouble shooting, most things which would require the Durametric are going to be beyond you anyway. Actron is a typical brand.

And last but certainly not least, if you want to learn about the inner workings of the car, then by all means buy the Durametric.

(Owned a '99 and then an '01S and never needed anything beyond a simple code reader and only bought that when I needed one. Used it on other folks other brand cars as well as on my wife's Acura. If you are near Sanford, I'd be glad to read your codes for you.)
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post

No, you don't need the Durametric SW/HW to own a Porsche. What you are seeing here are people with problems..you won't necessarily have problems.

You can generally get by by having access to a good Porsche mechanic. More expensive and not as self satisfying as doing it yourself but you do save the money on tools.

Next option is see if a nearby auto parts house will read the codes for you if you have some sort of problem or you have a solid check engine light (flashing, you stop and get it towed to a mechanic).

Or do you have a friend who already has code reading capability? The local car nut?

Next would be a simple code reader. Not nearly as capable as the Durametric but gives you access to many of the more common diagnostic codes the Boxster puts out. Unless you have some experience in trouble shooting, most things which would require the Durametric are going to be beyond you anyway. Actron is a typical brand.

And last but certainly not least, if you want to learn about the inner workings of the car, then by all means buy the Durametric.

(Owned a '99 and then an '01S and never needed anything beyond a simple code reader and only bought that when I needed one. Used it on other folks other brand cars as well as on my wife's Acura. If you are near Sanford, I'd be glad to read your codes for you.)
Very good advice Mike. This forum has really proved to be a benefit to me as a new owner.
I have only owned this Boxster for one week now. I have located a great mechanic who only works on Porsche, and highly recommended by a friend who used to work with him at a dealership, but he now has his own business. Met with him Friday, and was very, very pleased. I would imagine he could check the code at any time, if necessary.

I am a very quisitive person, and dive right into anything that I take on. So, being able to analyze and even diagnose my vehicle, or understand what makes it tick, would also be great! So I may keep my eyes peeled for one if comes up for sale on this site.

We are sort of neighbors, as I live near Hickory, NC. Thanks again for the advice.

Kind of off topic, but do you belong to a local Porsche club, and if so, do you find it beneficial and enjoyable?
Old 08-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #13
recycledsixtie

Garage
I have a 2001 Boxster base with 40k miles and have covered 10k miles in a year of ownership. Have not had a need for a durametric. So far no CEL lites or any significant problems. Got Wayne Dempsey's book 101 Projects and a couple of trips to my indy shop has precluded the need for the Durametric. I don't buy stuff unless I have to. I have IMS guardian installed now. I don't worry about it and just do what is necessary!
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #14
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post

+1
I have owned my Box for 7 years now, diagnosed several CEL error codes and made repairs without ever left wanting for a Durametric. My simple $39 Actron pocket reader tells me what I need to know and I don't really "need" to know everything.

Caveat: I am a simple guy who likes simple tools for common DIY repairs. I no longer own a lift and don't really want to own every specialty tool needed to completely disassemble and re-assemble my entire car. I prefer to leave that stuff to the pros. YMMV
Old 08-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #15

Garage
Has anyone here tried this PWIS cable?
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
I think that PIWIS cable is really like a Durametric unit and uses the old version of Durametric software that has a bunch of limitations.

They don't explain it but it will require some software to run the cable.

I think Durametric is trying to file a patent infringement claim against them but since they are foreign its very difficult if not impossible.

I question if that cables features is worth the trouble to try it.

The only really fun and capable units that do everything, I have seen, is the real Porsche units that cost in excess of $15k and can only be sold to verified legit Porsche dealers.

I guess the market/interest is not there to hack one of those units and create a DIY enthusiasts version.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:43 PM   #17

Garage
^^^^Thanks. I figured it required something to run it. Might be worth it for the cost, roughly $30 shipped.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 08-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
A "friend" of mine has this and it works pretty good. You can't use the drive function to turn things on and off, and it won't read things like ABS values, but it reads all the codes and all the engine values, cam deviations, all kinds of O2 sensor parameters, DME values, over-revs, etc. My "friend" is very happy with his.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:44 PM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
A "friend" of mine has this and it works pretty good. You can't use the drive function to turn things on and off, and it won't read things like ABS values, but it reads all the codes and all the engine values, cam deviations, all kinds of O2 sensor parameters, DME values, over-revs, etc. My "friend" is very happy with his.
Tell your "friend" thanks for the info
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 08-20-2012, 06:37 PM   #20

Just read an interesting post on the Cayman forum regarding the Softronics:

Softronics - Stupid Question -

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote