Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 09:20 AM   #1

oil temperature - OBD port

Playing around with my new durametric cable.....oil temperature is available via the OBD port.

So I would think that a aftermarket OBD gauge would easily display this infomation without having to install a sensor somewhere. It would be nice to have an onboard computer to display durametric on your double din screen!

Do any know whether the stock OBD oil temp. info. is reliable?

Old 07-30-2012, 09:38 AM   #2

check with chris zang; he tried that route and found that the oil temp info is proprietary and standard obd guages (well, the plx obd gauge, anyway) can't read it.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:40 AM   #3

Garage
I am pretty sure it is not, & oil temp is based on coolant temp. I assume you can verify this by comparing the 2 temps & see if you can achieve a different number for the 2 fluids.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
Porscheectomy

Brockway Engineering R1000 OBDII Multi Gauge Porsche 996 99-04
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
I am pretty sure it is not, & oil temp is based on coolant temp. I assume you can verify this by comparing the 2 temps & see if you can achieve a different number for the 2 fluids.
I didn't record the session but I do recall "engine temperature" matching my water temp gauge indication very closely at idle with the oil temp lagging behind with the car idling up to a water temperature of 80C (180F). There seemed to be a 10C spread up to that point....with the car sitting still and idling. It looked promising to me. Perhaps those with lots of "data" experience could comment.

I believe I have seen this oil temp probe on a schematic long ago and the lead appeared to go the the ECU with its location down away from the heads. I will try and post it if I find it.

Perhaps Chris has a later version DME software where the oil temp is locked up.....can't recall his model year. Oil temp was right there being actively read on the session I ran!

Last edited by jaykay; 07-30-2012 at 12:50 PM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:41 AM   #6

Yep I have scouting this for a few months! Do you have it yet? How is the colour match of the plastic face? You cant beat the 996 single din mount and flashing alarm presets.

Last edited by jaykay; 07-30-2012 at 12:40 PM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:57 AM   #7
Ex Esso kid

jaykay did you buy that cable direct?
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #8

No its a softronic cable. I got it on planet 9, on special. Once I find a good internet connection method, I am going to read my ECU and flash it. I was holding off on this as I wanted to get all my mods in place first but it seems they like a good stock file to work with; the modified file will adapt to the changes that are made after.....counter intuitive to me ....

Hop fully this a few other things will give me enough ooooomph to get past people in my run group when I am able to get back to track driving. In the lower groups up here you have to pass on the straights so you have to be right up on them on a straight....loose momentum and you will have a 944 up your bum as well
Old 07-30-2012, 12:52 PM   #9

i looked on the ecu pinouts posted on pelican (in the engine swap tech article) and they do show an oil temp sensor for the 7.2 ecu. however, it is a 911 diagram and the boxster may not have that sensor (similar to the boxster not having an oil pressure sender - wtf). so, it would be nice to know if there is any truth to the statements i've previously read that the boxster just extrapolates oil temp from water temp or whether there is an actual sensor someplace. it would be nice to use an obd gauge instead of installing a whole new sender and having to wire from the back of the car forward. would have to wire an oil pressure sender regardless, but most of the obd gauges allow for external inputs as well so could accomplish it all with one gauge instead of two.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:19 PM   #10

well, theres part #27 here:

Porsche 996 Oil Pump Parts

called a water temp sensor but located on the oil pump and sold as an oil temp sender by pelican (that's where i got the part number). uncertain if it sends temp reading or just sends on/off at a certain temp (ie, to trigger an idiot light or open a valve to the oil cooler).
Old 07-30-2012, 02:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
i looked on the ecu pinouts posted on pelican (in the engine swap tech article) and they do show an oil temp sensor for the 7.2 ecu. however, it is a 911 diagram and the boxster may not have that sensor (similar to the boxster not having an oil pressure sender - wtf). so, it would be nice to know if there is any truth to the statements i've previously read that the boxster just extrapolates oil temp from water temp or whether there is an actual sensor someplace. it would be nice to use an obd gauge instead of installing a whole new sender and having to wire from the back of the car forward. would have to wire an oil pressure sender regardless, but most of the obd gauges allow for external inputs as well so could accomplish it all with one gauge instead of two.
That might be the one...it was in winter when I last looked into it. the dgauge gives you two externals.

It may be stuck in a water jacket next to an oil gallery....water temp in two different places.....who knows. Trying running your durametric with ECU info tab open and call up engine temp and oil temp. The oil one lags behind but this from cold to 180 while idling....I will have to do one driving.

What should one expect to see for oil temperature? I would think itwould lag like I saw and then overtake water temp.

I have massive 2L deep sump so that may sku the readings for a while anyway
Old 07-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
well, theres part #27 here:

Porsche 996 Oil Pump Parts

called a water temp sensor but located on the oil pump and sold as an oil temp sender by pelican (that's where i got the part number). uncertain if it sends temp reading or just sends on/off at a certain temp (ie, to trigger an idiot light or open a valve to the oil cooler).
#27 screws into the coolant guide manifold & only coolant contacts it. Pelican has many mistakes in the catalog & I assume this is one also, however I have been getting a P0197 code = oil temp sensor & keep ignoring it because it's a pain to replace either of the sensors that might be causing the code.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:22 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
That might be the one...it was in winter when I last looked into it. the dgauge gives you two externals.

It may be stuck in a water jacket next to an oil gallery....water temp in two different places.....who knows. Trying running your durametric with ECU info tab open and call up engine temp and oil temp. The oil one lags behind but this from cold to 180 while idling....I will have to do one driving.

What should one expect to see for oil temperature? I would think itwould lag like I saw and then overtake water temp.I have massive 2L deep sump so that may sku the readings for a while anyway
I agree with your "bold" statement & theorize that the harder you load the engine the greater the oil temp over coolant temp rising to maybe 40 degrees differential. Just my working theory though.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #14

gotcha - just tracking coolant temp at the oil cooler. ok, how about here, where wayne states the the oil level sender also has a temp transducer:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/boxster-cayman-forum/596737-diy-installing-oil-pressure-oil-temp-instruments.html

and here:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/26-FUEL-Engine_Sensors/26-FUEL-Engine_Sensors.htm

also here:

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-racing-forum/33994-oil-temp-sensor.html

where someone notes that the 987 oil level sender also has oil temp. i checked, and the 986/987/996/997 part numbers for this unit are the same, so there should be actual oil temp readings available from this sender in the 986. a good check might be wire colour, where the ecu pinout for the 7.2 shows oil temp as green/red - mebbe i'll have a look tonite (*** not likely - under the intake plenum and couldn't get a good view). this would contradict mr raby here:

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/28134-oil-temp-gauge-install.html

so, the obd readings should be good. *** edit to add that i've found that some discredit the readings because the the temp sensor is only there to calibrate the oil level readings, so not as accurate as a standard sensor. however, they only reason i would need oil temp info would be to get me off the track if it was gettining critically hot, so accuracy isn't a big factor for me?

for those that want to wire an indepenent oil temp gauge, i have a feeling that porsche uses the vdo ohm range (10 to 180 ohms) as their oil pressure sender looks exactly like the vdo unit, and i've heard that the oil pressure sender puts out 18 ohms with no pressure which is about right (and porsche would never use the us ohm range).

also, can anyone verify that 1c in the a/c diagnostics is oil temp? *** edit to add - from the audi forums, an accurate list of what the a/c diagnostics tell us:

http://www.audiforum.ca/audi-mailing-list-45/climatronic-diagnostic-controls-4548/

so, no oil temp info here, and neither from any obd scanner i've seen except durametric. they should design a mobile version of that software so that we can monitor in our car without a laptop.

ps, sorry for the hijack. pps, looks like the brockway unit doesn't do oil temp either.

Last edited by The Radium King; 07-31-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:09 PM   #15

Garage
I know there is a hack on the AVIC models to view ODB information on the screen, requires a cable that plugs into the OBD port and then into the USB port of the AVIC unit. Would think there would be a hack on other units with a USB port and running the WinCE platform.

AVICnet 2.1 for AVIC F series, working OBDII! Updated 04/18/12 - AVIC411.com

OBDII USB Car Diagnostic Cable - Black + Blue + Orange (DC 12V) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Now this would be cool: DashCommand
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy6Mx9WQ8cY&feature=related

Last edited by boxster6354; 07-30-2012 at 03:26 PM.
boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote