Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #181

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 986_inquiry View Post
First, never exceeded posted speed limit. Read my posts.

Second, there is no legal excuse for negligence. Even when people sign waivers the companies can still be held liable for gross neligence. Waivers are not a license to kill people or due harm, and I didn't even sign a waiver.
OK. Disregard my post if you didn't exceed the speed limit in keeping up with those cars you listed. If that's the case, my Prius could keep up with the cars you listed...... at the legal speed limit.

Dude..............you screwed up by not stopping when the car heated up and the engine light came on! It's as much your fault! Man up and stop whining!

I apologize to the board for being blunt but it is my non-sugar coated opinion.

Boxster586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #182
2006 987

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
You can always try small claims court. Very low costs and no attorney required. Just filing might jolt your mechanic to make some amends.
This would be the route I would probably take if the mechanic doesn't make amends

I hate court, but at some point it's required. I once sued a chinese buffet because they changed the prices while we were eating. When I asked why, they said they had "ran out of (the correct) number for the sign" so the put up a post-it note with the higher price. When I said I shouldn't have to pay the higher price they called the police. Police looked at post-it note and said I had to pay whatever they said or I would be arrested. I paid and left while the police stayed and ate

Judge asked why and they said customers "feel the love" on Sunday's so they just want to pay more. They lost. All I got was the price difference (few bucks) and ~$80 in court fees. They lost time: employee, manager and owner sat in court for 6 hrs over a few dollars

Last edited by 986_inquiry; 08-03-2012 at 12:32 PM.
986_inquiry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:30 PM   #183
2006 987

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster586 View Post
OK. Disregard my post if you didn't exceed the speed limit in keeping up with those cars you listed. If that's the case, my Prius could keep up with the cars you listed...... at the legal speed limit.

Dude..............you screwed up by not stopping when the car heated up and the engine light came on! It's as much your fault! Man up and stop whining!

I apologize to the board for being blunt but it is my non-sugar coated opinion.
I did stop, and called the mechanic that had just looked at the car 20 miles earlier. He said the gauge must be wrong, and seeing how he just looked at the coolant system the day before I believed him, why wouldn't I? He had just inspected the coolant system.

When it continued to overheat I stopped again and called and again he said gauges must not be accurate but I could drive it in later to have it checked out again. Car never made it there.

Didnt you read any of the posts? You might want to read the posts before commenting, all of this has been covered
Old 08-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #184

Still, the cars were built and intended to be driven hard. There are racers here who spend most of their time at red line with heavy braking, and you don't see their boxsters blowing up.

As to where racing is concerned, Boxsters are not straight line cars and we all know that. Unless you're Ghostrider and own a Spyder, or have some aftermarket tuning, your stock Boxster (even a stock S) is going to lose to most of the machines out there. Unless you're on a mountain pass delivering Tofu, you're most probably going to lose on the straights...

... and personally, I think drag racing is the stupidest thing anyways. Any monkey can shift, and there's no driver skill behind driving in a straight line. If you can HT and double clutch, that says magnitudes more than being able to "pull off a quarter mile under 11 seconds"
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #185

Quote:
I did stop, and called the mechanic that had just looked at the car 20 miles earlier. He said the gauge must be wrong, and seeing how he just looked at the coolant system the day before I believed him, why wouldn't I? He had just inspected the coolant system.

When it continued to overheat I stopped again and called and again he said gauges must not be accurate but I could drive it in later to have it checked out again. Car never made it there.

Didnt you read any of the posts? You might want to read the posts before commenting, all of this has been covered
You should've pulled over and left it to cool down, regardless of what anybody says. That's like looking down the barrel of a gun, even when a certified shooting instructor tells you to do so. You just... don't do it.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:09 PM   #186

Quote:
This would be the route I would probably take if the mechanic doesn't make amends

I hate court, but at some point it's required. I once sued a chinese buffet because they changed the prices while we were eating. When I asked why, they said they had "ran out of (the correct) number for the sign" so the put up a post-it note with the higher price. When I said I shouldn't have to pay the higher price they called the police. Police looked at post-it note and said I had to pay whatever they said or I would be arrested. I paid and left while the police stayed and ate

Judge asked why and they said customers "feel the love" on Sunday's so they just want to pay more. They lost. All I got was the price difference (few bucks) and ~$80 in court fees. They lost time: employee, manager and owner sat in court for 6 hrs over a few dollars
And why would you ever go to court over a few dollars? Sense of self-righteousness?
Old 08-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #187

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono0001 View Post
Still, the cars were built and intended to be driven hard. There are racers here who spend most of their time at red line with heavy braking, and you don't see their boxsters blowing up.

As to where racing is concerned, Boxsters are not straight line cars and we all know that. Unless you're Ghostrider and own a Spyder, or have some aftermarket tuning, your stock Boxster (even a stock S) is going to lose to most of the machines out there. Unless you're on a mountain pass delivering Tofu, you're most probably going to lose on the straights...

... and personally, I think drag racing is the stupidest thing anyways. Any monkey can shift, and there's no driver skill behind driving in a straight line. If you can HT and double clutch, that says magnitudes more than being able to "pull off a quarter mile under 11 seconds"
I agree 100% with your post but...................a monkey CAN miss a shift and blow up his engine! He can't sue the EVO driver because the judge wont allow monkeys in his court room.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #188

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono0001 View Post
And why would you ever go to court over a few dollars? Sense of self-righteousness?
In this case......a hatred of ricers? Just kidding!!!!!
Old 08-03-2012, 01:20 PM   #189
2006 987

Garage
..... what's with the sudden trolling?:troll:
Old 08-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #190

Garage
Quote:
You mean like this: "I once sued a chinese buffet because they changed the prices while we were eating."
Old 08-03-2012, 01:44 PM   #191
2006 987

Garage
Quote:
It's getting to the point that I can't post anything here without being attacked, even just repair questions

Guess I'll post more on rennlist instead, think I have an old account over there too, hopefully moderators there are more pro-active against trolling? It's just a surprise to see it on a Porsche forum, I'd expect it from a Civic or Camaro forum, but Porsche? You'd think it would attract a more mature crowd but maybe trolls are everywhere
Old 08-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #192

Apologies if what I'm doing is trolling. I'm merely sharing what I think.

I don't believe that Boxsters should explode, despite how hard you drive it (save for negligence... or stupidity)
Personally, I would've let my car cool regardless of what anybody said.
And lastly, I was questioning why you would go to court over a few dollars.

And as a side interjection, I dislike drag racing... which is why I tend to not like American cars so much. Straight line racing is boring.

Much love to you, 986_Inquiry, I am saddened by the loss of your engine, and meant no offense.
But I also personally think you're being very prejudice towards Civic, Camaro, and other car owners. I've noticed it almost as a trend around here, which I guess can't be helped since it is a Porsche forum after all. Maybe you can attribute it off to me still being young, but I have a certain respects for all cars, regardless of make and model. I may not ever buy them or like driving them, but I see their draw and their demo graph.

Last edited by Crono0001; 08-03-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #193

Garage
but why?

Quote:

______
Wow.
jrblackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:06 AM   #194

Quote:
Guess I'll post more on rennlist instead, think I have an old account over there too,
Dude, you'll get killed over there faster then your engine blew up. Now, go clean your room.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:51 AM   #195

Lets tone it down boys. Disagree but no insults, OK?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:02 AM   #196

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee View Post
Lets tone it down boys. Disagree but no insults, OK?
Who is this BruceLee guy??

Long time no hear from, all good with you?

boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:11 AM   #197

Going back to your original post...you had an overheating engine and lots of warnings and didn't immediately cure the problem. You let a flashing light go for the "last few months". You consistently used only your mechanic when your engine was giving you repeated signs of distress and his approach wasn't solving the problem? When the engine's sensors were contradicting the mechanic, did you ever think that the mechanic just might not be the most experienced Porsche mechanic and might not be giving you the right advice? Or that your description of the symptoms was perhaps the reason why he gave you the advice?

I don't ever like to see an engine lost as that just makes fewer of them around for those that need one. But I think your approach to this scenario is as much the cause of the end result as anything anyone else did. And I'm sorry the lesson is going to cost you so much.

I feel for you, I lost my first aluminum-engined sports car's engine the same way (Alfa). But I never blamed anyone else. Truth be told I was trying to drive 50 miles in August to meet my girlfriend at the time and just kept pouring water into the expansion tank when I should have gotten the head gasket replaced. I was wrong and learned my lesson the hard way.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #198

"I hate court, but at some point it's required. I once sued a chinese buffet because they changed the prices while we were eating. When I asked why, they said they had "ran out of (the correct) number for the sign" so the put up a post-it note with the higher price. When I said I shouldn't have to pay the higher price they called the police. Police looked at post-it note and said I had to pay whatever they said or I would be arrested. I paid and left while the police stayed and ate

Judge asked why and they said customers "feel the love" on Sunday's so they just want to pay more. They lost. All I got was the price difference (few bucks) and ~$80 in court fees. They lost time: employee, manager and owner sat in court for 6 hrs over a few dollars"

wow, i think i just threw up a little bit. now i gotta find somebody to sue for my drycleaning bill.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #199

Garage
Quote:
I feel for you, I lost my first aluminum-engined sports car's engine the same way (Alfa). But I never blamed anyone else. Truth be told I was trying to drive 50 miles in August to meet my girlfriend at the time and just kept pouring water into the expansion tank when I should have gotten the head gasket replaced. I was wrong and learned my lesson the hard way.
but did you get any for your effort ?
2x Range Rover Classic & CSK
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:33 PM   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster6354 View Post
Who is this BruceLee guy??

Long time no hear from, all good with you?

I am great thanks. I read a lot of posts but don't comment as much.

How are you doing?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote