Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 05:04 PM   #1

Garage
Replacing accessory belt

An addition needs to be made to the excellent book "101 Projects for your Boxzter". Be careful when removing engine cover because it is razor sharp as my sliced open thumb will attest to. Note to self...buy Mechanix gloves.:ah: On a good note, no play in the water pump.

davedeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:42 PM   #2

i know the feeling. i believe one in general must give some small blood sacrifice anytime one works on these cars. i have yet to do anything where i didn't bang a knuckle, break some skin, etc.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:27 PM   #3

Yeah, for sure. Never did much wrenchin' before I got the Box, but I learned pretty quick: Whenever I'm gettin' ready to start crankin' hard on a nut or a bolt that I know is going to take a LOT of torque to break loose, I always ask the question: Where's my hand (especially those oh-so-vulnerable knuckles) going to go when it breaks loose, or the socket slips off? I'm by no means immune (is anyone??), but I sure don't injure myself as often as I used to!
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Yeah, for sure. Never did much wrenchin' before I got the Box, but I learned pretty quick: Whenever I'm gettin' ready to start crankin' hard on a nut or a bolt that I know is going to take a LOT of torque to break loose, I always ask the question: Where's my hand (especially those oh-so-vulnerable knuckles) going to go when it breaks loose, or the socket slips off? I'm by no means immune (is anyone??), but I sure don't injure myself as often as I used to!
I sure learned that one the hard way as well. Lost a fingernail about a year ago. That sucks!!

http://i40.tinypic.com/ei6sns.jpg
pompous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:54 AM   #5

I always found cuts and scrapes were just a part of working on cars. Also greasy hands and fingernails. Nitrile gloves help to reduce the cuts, scrapes and keeps the hands a bit cleaner. Replaced the serpentine belt yesterday. That front engine cover does have razor sharp edges. Sweat and blood just part of the relationship.
opus69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #6
recycledsixtie

Garage
I need to know what torque to use after a new serpentine belt is installed?Wayne's 101 Book does not show how much force to apply to the idler pulley? Any ideas? I need to know this in case I need to do a replacement on the road.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:07 PM   #7

I may be misunderstanding the question, but if you're just replacing the belt you crank on the tensioner with just enough torque to loosen things to the point you can get the old belt off and the new one on. BTW, if you don't have a 24 mm box-end wrench, a 15/16" works just as well.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsixtie View Post
I need to know what torque to use after a new serpentine belt is installed?Wayne's 101 Book does not show how much force to apply to the idler pulley? Any ideas? I need to know this in case I need to do a replacement on the road.
Boxster parts diagram has two pulleys. The deflection roller and the tensioner roller.
The serpentine belt is installed by unloading the tensioner (roller) pulley, removing and replacing the belt and releasing the tensioner. No need to touch the idler pulley to r&r the belt.
This reply does not address the torque spec for the bolt holding the idler pulley
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #9

Garage
Too bad it's not this easy..........

The Original Fast Volkswagen Belt Change. - YouTube
Old 07-22-2012, 06:44 AM   #10

serpentine belt

There is a site on you tube where one changes a serpentine belt in 3 minutes.It is easy.A garage already charged me 1h30 work some time ago .I can do it in 20 minutes relaxed.Oh well......you learn.

lahalte is offline   Reply With Quote