Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #1

Door speaker install problem

I bought some new door speakers(I made sure to get shallow ones) but I think there still close to the back wall. The speakers are almost completely muffleled. I guess I need to make some modifications to the ported box that's in the door. Has anyone run into this?

truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #2

Ditch the "tuned ports" all together and just make a baffle mounts yourself from mdf. Then you can size up to a more adaquate 6.75" or 6x9" speakers or ??? to get some ok bass. 5.25" drivers w/o a boat load of power will still sound like garbage. Check out the boxster wiki or do a search here for a complete guide on overhauling the Boxster's sound system including a template for the baffles.

Good luck
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #3

It's not the port. The speakers sent producing any sound. I cut the box in half just to be sure and no difference. They're moving, but they're not producing sound. Odd
Old 06-27-2012, 12:32 PM   #4

Garage
If you're using the stock HU / amp, I believe it has a low frequency crossover that filters out the mid & high range signals to those "speakers", since they are designed to just be "sub wooferish".

I wouldn't think just swapping the speakers is enough, if you want to use full range speakers, I would think the amp / HU needs to be swapped as well?
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003S View Post
If you're using the stock HU / amp, I believe it has a low frequency crossover that filters out the mid & high range signals to those "speakers", since they are designed to just be "sub wooferish".

I wouldn't think just swapping the speakers is enough, if you want to use full range speakers, I would think the amp / HU needs to be swapped as well?
Why wouldn't these just act like subs then?
Old 06-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #6

5.25" drivers won't go low... at least not w/o a lot more power... a lot more than the stock amps' 40W provide. And the door drivers are just "low" tone anyhow as a crossover is built into amp...

Suspect the range on your new 5.25" drivers isn't very deep and thus why they barely move and produce little sound... just like the OEM ones . Also, make sure fade on h/u is set to middle as amp's signal to door drivers is by combining front & rear channels from h/u regardless if you have rear speakers as not.

A countless number of us have gone down this slope before you. Search for "upgrading the Boxsters sound system" thread here or on Boxster wiki for details. It will be very helpful read and save you any more aggravation.

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 06-27-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
5.25" drivers won't go low... at least not w/o a lot more power... a lot more than the stock amps' 40W provide. And the door drivers are just "low" tone anyhow as a crossover is built into amp...

Suspect the range on your new 5.25" drivers isn't very deep and thus why they barely move and produce little sound... just like the OEM ones . Also, make sure fade on h/u is set to middle as amp's signal to door drivers is by combining front & rear channels from h/u regardless if you have rear speakers as not.

A countless number of us have gone down this slope before you. Search for "upgrading the Boxsters sound system" thread here or on Boxster wiki for details. It will be very helpful read and save you anymore aggravation.

I never thought it would be so complex dam. So the speaker I have simply won't work. It sounds like they're the wrong resistance.