Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2005, 07:11 PM   #21

How about we all get together and install some clutches! We can get all of our knowledge and tools together to do this. And if necessary, we can pitch in, and start a fund to buy equipment for the more expensive stuff!

If not, what clutch would some of you guys go for? I'm looking for something close to stock because I'm not really looking towards racing. Besides, my 98 isn't all that powerful.

ralegen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 05:56 PM   #22

OK, so I'm digging up this old thread as my clutch now is exhibiting several significant symptoms indicating the time is now for a new clutch. It’s getting very stiff and shutters a bit when it engages.

I have decided to have the work done.

Does anyone know a good Boxster mechanic in the Los Angeles area?
Mr. Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 03:35 AM   #23
PAH

When the dealership were repairing my RMS leak (at 30,000 miles) they said the clutch needed replacing.

Would have cost GB£ 800.00, but as the transmission was out, they charged me only GB£ 200.00.
PAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 03:40 PM   #24

OK, So I guess no one has a Boxster mechanic in LA that they would care to recommend.

How about a recomendation on where to buy all the parts required, clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing and replacement bolts \ washers????

I would be willing to ship it from anywhere in the upper 48 states if the price was right.

Thank You
Old 11-15-2005, 03:48 PM   #25

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boone
OK, So I guess no one has a Boxster mechanic in LA that they would care to recommend.

How about a recomendation on where to buy all the parts required, clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing and replacement bolts \ washers????

I would be willing to ship it from anywhere in the upper 48 states if the price was right.

Thank You

BMAPARTS.com, prices arent too bad, just bought brake pads, rotors, sensor from them. They are located in Glendale, CA. Check it out.
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 01:17 PM   #26

Thanks to all for replies. I bought an OEM clutch kit from Porsche Parts direct for $355.00. No tax, and free shipping. The item arrived in one day after order even though it shipped from New York! I looked around a lot for a local mechanic to install it without much success. I did get a quote from Stuttgart Motors in LA for $650.00 but I got hugely turned off by the service writer there who informed me that I certainly would need a new dual mass flywheel for an additional $700 - $800 bones. How she knew my 2002 Boxster S with 32K on it needed a flywheel without ever even seeing the car I have no idea....... Anyway I went ahead and had the dealer put it in for $1,000.00 labor ( I know, kinda high) + $17.00 for new bolts. Car did not need a new flywheel. Made a huge difference in the way the thing drives. Clutch actuation is now takes about 1/3 the effort than before. I was really sweating this install as it was kinda pricey and I kept debating weather of not to do it myself. While I was at the dealer Isaw a Boxster that had up on the rack with the trans out, probably also getting a clutch. Did not look to be too awfully difficult. Drop the exhaust and cats, disconnect the shift cables, unbolt and pull the trans, install clutch and put it back together...... sounds easy. I was just real concerned about putting the car on jacks high enough to get the trans out and the safety concerns of being underneath it. Plus I really did not have the time to do it. Dealer did it in one day, as promised. I am so glad this part of the project is over. Car now is stable and I am driving it every day.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:49 AM   #27

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by deliriousga View Post
1966 Wife White/Brown Top
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
Lol.... "Sold"?

Sorry, Monday humor...

mgfranz is offline   Reply With Quote