Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 11:21 AM   #1

Garage
Electrical fun

I haven't heard of this problem on this board or on the interweb but I'm hoping it's not just me.

1997 Boxster. The three switches on the right hand side control the locks, defroster, and the convertible top. They seem to activate sporadically. They always respond when I use them, but sometimes the defroster will turn on when I complete the opening or closing of my top. Also the lock button activates on it's own when I'm driving at times. While typing this I guess I probably just need to get in there and blow some air and clean it up some. So I just answered myself. but then I have another question.

Is there really a defroster on my car? Not the button on the climate control unit, but to the right of it. The symbol is for defroster as opposed to deicer, but I'm new to German cars. But I don't see any deicer lines on any of my windows and when I press the button, I don't hear or feel a fan anywhere in the car.

CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:00 PM   #2

First generation Boxster has a Hardtop option with a defroster on it..
Old 06-25-2012, 11:09 AM   #3

Garage
I guess that kind of makes sense. Not sure why the button lights up when I press it, but if it's not doing anything then I guess it's not hurting anything.
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 02:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBeerToad View Post
I guess that kind of makes sense. Not sure why the button lights up when I press it, but if it's not doing anything then I guess it's not hurting anything.
To bump an old thread... In addition to working the hardtop rear window defroster it also heats the glass of the two outside mirrors.

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote