Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 05:16 AM   #1

How to remove broken header bolts

So during my IMS/clutch job I snapped two exhaust manifold bolts on the left side. Luckily their both towards the back of the car so fairly easy to get to. One was exposed by about 1/2 inch and the other 1/4". After being turned down by nearly every exhaust shop in town as well as Lufteknic the local outrageously priced friendly Porsche shop who literally laughed at me I decided to try and remove the bolts myself. I started on the bolt that was exposed by a 1/2" and I soaked it in PB blaster for two days and then cranked down on it with some monster vice grips and couldn't get the thing to budge. I tried rocking it back and forth tapping it with a hammer etc, and now after 30 minutes of screwing with it its snapped off flush...

I really have no idea what to do now. I would really like to take and some where and am besides myself disappointed in Lufteknic, I thought after taking it there for a 300 inspection a few weeks ago they would be a little more receptive to at least giving it a try, but hey some company's you can count on some you can't. What do you guys suggest? Right now my course of action is to drill the bolts out which I really don't want to do.

truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:32 AM   #2
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
Take a look at machine shops in your area that work on diesel engines. They usually have EDM's (electrical discharge machining) that will remove the bolt in place.

Several of our agricultural machine shops here in our area do this when just this type of event happens. They usually charge about 150/hole. Heck, if you weren't so far away I have one in my lab for a project I could haul out.

Best of luck!
Old 06-01-2012, 10:48 AM   #3

I will assume that you pulled your stock headers off to replace them with aftermarket.
To make a drill guide, You will need to cut the mounting flange, (to the head) off the header.
Then order a metric drill guide that fits into the hole of the flange where the broken bolt is. McMaster-Carr
Grind the bolt flat,.... bolt on the flange with the drill bushing installed and use the correct drillbit that fits the bushing hole.
Drill out bolt. Then easyout the rest. I use left handed drill bits as 99% of the time it screws them out on their own.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
Track rat

Garage
This thread has a good DIY to remove frozen or sheared off header bolts. Insite is very meticulous and explains his process well. If you live in the mid-west or north-east, you will probably face this problem some day.

http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/26065-3-4l-motor-swap-underway-2.html
Old 06-02-2012, 02:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelyx View Post
I will assume that you pulled your stock headers off to replace them with aftermarket.
To make a drill guide, You will need to cut the mounting flange, (to the head) off the header.
Then order a metric drill guide that fits into the hole of the flange where the broken bolt is. McMaster-Carr
Grind the bolt flat,.... bolt on the flange with the drill bushing installed and use the correct drillbit that fits the bushing hole.
Drill out bolt. Then easyout the rest. I use left handed drill bits as 99% of the time it screws them out on their own.
I believe this guy has given you some great advice, and I would follow this to the letter, after trying one more easier method: get a torch from your local hardware store, and try heating up the aluminum around the broken bolt, then try your vice grip method one more time. Just make sure you wipe away all that PB Blaster first.

Good luck.

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote