Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 10:36 AM   #1

Brake Flush: Pedro or Wayne?

Pedro states in his DIY on flushing the brakes that you shuld start with the inner nipple and then move to the outer nipple.

Wayne, in his book says the opposite - start with the outer and move to the inner.

Who's right, and why?

Old 05-29-2012, 02:04 PM   #2

Other than the Pelican Parts (ie 101 Projects, basically) I only found one write-up online...this one:

Boxster Projects | Brakes | Bleed and Flush

They seem to go along with Wayne, ie to start with the outer. Looked in my Bentley shop manual and, while they describe the procedure, they didn't even mention "inner" vs "outer". I've done it twice, and I honestly don't remember which way I did it. I'm not a seasoned mechanic by any means, but I really can't see how it would matter a whole lot one way or the other.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
Crazy Austrian

Garage
It really doesnt matter that much, the internal chambers are all interconnected. the important thing is that you get both and you start with the caliper farthest away from the master.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:44 PM   #4
SPB racer

Garage
It does matter. Pedro (if you quoted him correctly - and I don't know if you did) is incorrect. Always work from the furthest from the reservoir to the nearest.
Jittsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jittsl View Post
It does matter.
Theoretically, maybe. But to any significant degree?...I can't imagine why. If you did it the "wrong way" it would be like accidently failing to drain the last cup of motor oil when changing oil/filter. Less than ideal? I suppose, arguably. Significant? I really doubt it.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #6

Actually, I did do it Pedro's way, because that's how I did it the previous time and it worked fine. Worked fine this time too. That's why I was curious about which way was technically correct and why.

Wayne did say in his instructions that, after using the power bleeder, he gets someone to help him bleed it a bit more using the brake pedal method to get the last bit of air out. (Kinda defeats the purpose of owning a power bleeder, doesn't it?). I didn't do this and had no trapped air issues either time using the Pedro method. Not saying that made a difference, just saying what happened. I have the European Black Label Motive power bleeder.