Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2005, 09:59 PM   #1

Powerchip for my 01 boxster S

i went to a local porsche dealership for a new shifter. while i was waiting, i decided to test drive an 02 boxster S with a porsche sport muffler. the throttle response was instantaneous. i loved it. i can't really say my 01 boxster s and several other boxster S's that i test drived are the same. so i went home and ordered a porsche sport muffler. after installing it and driving it for several weeks, the throttle response hasn't improved. therefore, my next logical upgrade is the chip. is there anybody out there knows about the powerchip and if it is a good idea? btw, it costs about 1k. thanks.

airbox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 10:07 PM   #2

Where did you buy the PSM? I've been searching for one also. Suncoast listed it at $ 1600.00. I don't want to pay that much just for the sound improvement.

Richard
rctboxsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 10:31 AM   #3

i got it from brandywine porsche for 1200 shipped. they have parts on ebay all the time. their number is (610) 886-1000. give them a call.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:25 AM   #4

I looked at powerchip then decided to go with REVO Technik software instead. Revo's software is flash loaded meaning NO swapping of computers, or soldering in a new chip such as power chip.

You can even have a FREE 4hour test program of the REVO installed! I tried the FREE trial and loved it. Improved throttle response and noticable more power. Plus it only took 15 minutes to install at the shop www.herg.net

http://www.revotechnik.com

You can also look into GIAC, or www.goapr.com they have software too, but REVO is so plug and play it is my definite option.

KRZ
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 12:54 PM   #5

Thanks Airbox!
rctboxsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 12:26 PM   #6

revo

I have a REVO chip in my 20th, I love it. Simple easy to use and mad HP. Never had a problem or thrown a CEL.
b
ralston racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 04:21 PM   #7

Adam - how do they terminate the four hour free test? In other words, how do they unload or delete the upgrade?
Old 09-12-2005, 07:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by slogans7
Adam - how do they terminate the four hour free test? In other words, how do they unload or delete the upgrade?
Their site says it reverts to original settings by itself. No need to return to the dealer.
gRed04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 07:23 AM   #9

i tried it out last week and it was simply amazing. it definitely give the car some more juice. however, there is one issue about this process that still worries me. Correct me if i wrong, but if the enhancement is to make the car run better on 91 octane by changing the fuel timing, etc., would this increase the risk of the car running leaner? If so, the engine will tend to knock more often, and because the engine has a built-in knock sensor, would the car's ECU correct itself and revert the engine back to its original configuration? Then, ultimately, we would pay a whole lot for nothing. Anyone?
Old 09-13-2005, 07:26 PM   #10

Airbox 1

Did you try the 4 hour demo software or did you buy it? If it was the demo, how much did they charge to install it and where did you go to install it?
nastyboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 10:29 PM   #11

i tried it out for 5 hours. i am seriously thinking about getting the full version. it costs about $950 total. i live in the san diego area and the dealer is located in the LA area, so not too far of a drive for me.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:13 AM   #12

HI Airbox,

Are you talking about the Powerchip or the REVO Technik software?

For Revo, you can goto Hergesheimer Motorsports in Lake Forest (South Orange County) www.herg.net

The REVO software costs the same any authorized dealer you buy it from ($899)

KRZ
Old 09-14-2005, 08:39 AM   #13

I'm in the process of having the trail version installed on my 01 Boxster. I talked to the authorized dealer in my area and it will cost me $45 for an installation fee and if I decide to purchase the product then they will install the software for free ($899 software).
spgribben007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 08:47 AM   #14

yes, i'm talking about revo. hey krzytaco, how long have u had it and how is it working out for u?
Old 09-14-2005, 09:11 AM   #15

I just did the free trial, liked it however the $800 is going towards having my new coil overs and alignment installed.

KRZ
Old 09-14-2005, 09:34 AM   #16

i'm still debating whether to get the GIAC or REVo software. Anybody have any suggestions?
Old 09-14-2005, 12:43 PM   #17

They are pretty similar from what I hear. I think GIAC is the only option near me though so I can't get a trial run.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 01:00 PM   #18

well, if u decide to go with the GIAC, then go ahead and just get it. they have a 30-day money back guarantee. make sure this is the case at your GIAC dealer. therefore, if u don't like it, u can always come back and get more money back.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:05 PM   #19

I thought I had read a million posts elsewhere on this board that aftermarket mods and chips don't make that much of a difference. But here I read that you guys are feeling significant power upgrades.

Any dyno test or other data to go with the seat-of-the-pants method? Although don't get me wrong, I think seat of the pants is the MOST important criteria, you gotta feel happy with it. I'm just curious about the specs.
xavier405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 12:49 AM   #20

Smile

oh definitely, u'll feel a difference once u drive off with the upgraded software. if u have a boxster, it'll feel like it's a boxster s. i just did mine and it cost me $968 total. it's well worth the money. oh, i went with revo technik.