Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #1

Trunk and hood switch not working

Hi I have a 2001 Boxster and was wondering if anyone else has this intermittent issue? The trunk & hood buttons/switches will not open either or both. I did notice that sometimes but not always, if the door lock light is on and I fool around with it by locking and unlocking the doors and simultaneously clicking on the hood or trunk switches they will open. Then when they don't open I just use the emergency cables. I first thought it was because of the Clifford alarm I had installed that would open both remotely went bad so I took it out which did not do a thing. Any ideas? Thanks in advanced and aloha!

ran-d808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #2
Matt

Welcome. First of all, what buttons are not working? The ones on your key fobs or the ones on your door sill? Also, have you tried both key fobs and do you have the same results with both?
Old 03-03-2012, 02:51 AM   #3

Though i didn't have the exact same issue as you my front trunk light was not working. When i was removing my front bumper noticed the dirt on the lock mechanism. dismantled it, cleaned with wd40, wiped it clean and the light started working. Te lock not is so soft and easy to open with the door sill lever than before. I will be doing the same for the rear. Wuld be worth a try for you. Amazing how mush rust, dust and grime get i to all these grooves and cable ends. My hand brake cable had so uch rust particles where it joins the housing, i had to pull back the sleeve and pry out the particles. That lever is very smooth now as well.
2000 Boxster S 3.2L
1990 Land Rover Defender 6x6
Bala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighBoxster View Post
Welcome. First of all, what buttons are not working? The ones on your key fobs or the ones on your door sill? Also, have you tried both key fobs and do you have the same results with both?
Hi thanks for the welcome, but I was a member before but changed emails and forgot my username and password...duh! Anyway, it's the buttons on the door sill.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bala View Post
Though i didn't have the exact same issue as you my front trunk light was not working. When i was removing my front bumper noticed the dirt on the lock mechanism. dismantled it, cleaned with wd40, wiped it clean and the light started working. Te lock not is so soft and easy to open with the door sill lever than before. I will be doing the same for the rear. Wuld be worth a try for you. Amazing how mush rust, dust and grime get i to all these grooves and cable ends. My hand brake cable had so uch rust particles where it joins the housing, i had to pull back the sleeve and pry out the particles. That lever is very smooth now as well.
Hi, I already cleaned and lubed them but I believe it's an electrical issue.
Thanks!
Old 03-12-2012, 07:28 AM   #6
Custom User Title Here

Garage
.................................................. ............................................

Last edited by particlewave; 03-16-2012 at 01:09 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:09 PM   #7

I have the same problem. Changed the central locking system module and bought replacement switches and that didn't work either. Both switch lights light up. I found that if you apply a small amount of voltage (9v battery) to the plug that will pop them. I hope you figure out why they don't work because my mechanic couldn't. I've spent $400 trying to fiiqure it out.
VaBadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #8

I dont have time to dig into this, but I believe it is going to be an issue with a micro switch in the system, that is keeping the switches from working. Several things have to "line up" prior to the switches being allowed to power the solenoids.

The items listed above me should have never been replaced until all the "safety" switches that keep you from opening the hood/trunk while driving down the road were checked.

I'll think more about this, but I don't have time to look at the wiring diagrams, which would tell us what "safety" switches are in place prior to the relay having ground (I imagine they are controlling the ground side like they do everything else in the car)

B

We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote