Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 08:29 AM   #1

Secondary Sir System - Fail status

Gents,
Durametric is showing Pass for 4 out of 5 under Ready Status. Secondary Air System is a Fail. Read and reread a lot of threads and followed quite a few troubleshooting steps. Checked air leak with a propane torch and didn't see any jump in RPM. Did this on the upper side on the engine in all nooks and crannies. I had a Cyl 6 misfire earlier and swapped 6 coil to 5 and cleared the code and haven't seen it since.

I ran the capture of Actual Values for various systems but am not sure what to compare it against. My O2 and cat check out fine under ready status but I understand that don't mean there isn't an issue related to the above title.

I did Activations using Durametic. I'm able to start and stop the items in the picture below except the 'Electrical switch-over valve Secondary pump'. I hear a click-click but don't hear a fan. Should there be an actual fan running? The 'Secondary air pump' runs pretty loud so I'm wondering if the Electrical switch-over... should run similar. This issue is really got me stumped. Thanks for your help.

Attached Images

2000 Boxster S 3.2L
1990 Land Rover Defender 6x6

Last edited by Bala; 01-15-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Bala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
Crazy Austrian

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bala View Post
I did Activations using Durametic. I'm able to start and stop the items in the picture below except the 'Electrical switch-over valve Secondary pump'. I hear a click-click but don't hear a fan. Should there be an actual fan running? The 'Secondary air pump' runs pretty loud so I'm wondering if the Electrical switch-over... should run similar. This issue is really got me stumped. Thanks for your help.
the secondary switch over valve is just a soulenoid type valve and that is the clicking noise you hear, the pump does not activate at the same time in durametrics. you have a second command line to activate the pump seperately.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryrcb View Post
the secondary switch over valve is just a soulenoid type valve and that is the clicking noise you hear, the pump does not activate at the same time in durametrics. you have a second command line to activate the pump seperately.
So, it can be checked off as working fine? Since the error is specifically pointing to Secondary Air System, the other area would be Air Leak correct? I tried the propane torch method and came up with nothing. What else could be causing this?
2000 Boxster S 3.2L
Old 01-16-2012, 06:27 PM   #4
Crazy Austrian

Garage
what was the specific code you are getting? code-number
Old 01-17-2012, 05:57 AM   #5

When i test drove it it gave me a P0507 and also under 'Ready Status' the Secondary Air system was showing a FAIL status. I cleared it and haven't drove it again as I'm concerned I might be doing some damage somewhere.

2000 Boxster S 3.2L