Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 04:42 AM   #1

Clutch replacement

Hi guys, probably a common question but please bare with me... My clutch needs replacing...do I replace it with a original porche clutch or is there a better after market kit avaliable? When replacing my clutch, what else should I consider replacing- perhaps a ims retrofit kit??? Any advice will be appreciated.i do track my car once a month 3.2l 2000 s. thanks

de-snorkeled, clear lights, sports exhaust, zeintec hard top, zein wing, B&M short shifter, DesignTek lowering springs, DesignTek carbon fibre strut brace front and rear, 18'' carerra 5 spokes, semi slick tyres, entire soft top delete, engine cover delete,red console,L&N deep sump, volo performance chip, raptor shift light, de-cat'ed, OEM GT3 bucket seats.
sickbananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:32 AM   #2
Crazy Austrian

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickbananas View Post
Hi guys, probably a common question but please bare with me... My clutch needs replacing...do I replace it with a original porche clutch or is there a better after market kit avaliable? When replacing my clutch, what else should I consider replacing- perhaps a ims retrofit kit??? Any advice will be appreciated.i do track my car once a month 3.2l 2000 s. thanks
get the oem clutch kit (includes clutch disc,pressure plate and throuwout brng), there really is nothing better than the Porsche clutch and yes it's a good idea, while you are in there to replace the IMS bearomg and RMS(rear main seal) and check your gearbox input shaft seal. easy enough to replace

Last edited by harryrcb; 01-07-2012 at 07:08 AM.
harryrcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:21 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

Check the dual mass flywheel while you're in there, depending on miles it might also need replacement.

RMS is easy and cheap to replace.

Whether to replace the IMS bearing or not is entirely your decision.

OEM clutch kit is fine for street drving. If you track the car, you might want to consider the Sachs sports clutch kit.

I track my car often so at 92,000 miles, I replaced my original clutch with the Sachs sports clutch kit and a light weight flywheel (LWFW). I replaced the RMS but did not replace the IMS bearing. With 10,000 miles and 15 track days since then, everything is still running fine.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #4

when my clutch was done (sachs OEM I think) they also did the RMS seal (preventative) and IMS bolts,but I am getting read to do the IMS bearing here pretty soon even though the clutch was just done....
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:45 PM   #5
spdylw986

Garage
I just brought my 02 non-S in for IMS, RMS, Air-Oil Separator. As soon as the transmission was dropped it was noted that the Clutch disk and Flywheel both needed replaced.

I am going with Pelican's advice and installing aluminum flywheel and upgrading to the 987 clutch. Has anyone here done either of these upgrades?
spdylw986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:40 AM   #6

Just did my clutch, ims, rms and tranny fluid change. Dont go crazy replacing everything you come across. Folks here are definitely making the right suggestions. But, you need to determine if those specific parts in your car need replaced. I found my pressure plate was fine, flywheel was fine, and so was the clutch slave and the shaft seal. My double row ims was perfect when i pulled it out. Didnt want to risk putting it in as the process of pulling it might have done something so went with pelical kit. My rms was leaking so replaced that. I cleaned and repacked the throw out bearing as it was in a good shape. Clean out the flywheel and pressure plate and you will be able to see the true state of the parts. I bought sachs clutch fyi. Do replace bolts. They seem to turn to butter once on the car.

And finally, do it yourself. you will save a tom.
2000 Boxster S 3.2L
1990 Land Rover Defender 6x6
Bala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryrcb View Post
get the oem clutch kit (includes clutch disc,pressure plate and throuwout brng), there really is nothing better than the Porsche clutch and yes it's a good idea, while you are in there to replace the IMS bearomg and RMS(rear main seal) and check your gearbox input shaft seal. easy enough to replace
That's why it is good to know something about changing and replacing parts and all what's inside the hood or under the car. It will surely save you a lot of time and money too. All you need is to find the car parts.

Last edited by kotto; 05-13-2012 at 03:33 AM.
kotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #8

Garage
I just recently bought the spec stage 2 clutch kit and a lighweight flywheel, not fitted them yet. spec technicians assured me an enjoyable driving experience with this set up.

Hadydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote