Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 02:44 PM   #1

How to replece the power steering lines...?

after inspecting the source for a hydraulic leak on the power steering I found that the low pressure (return) hose was leaking at the fitting where the flexible hose meets the metal hose behind the front wheel this is a crimped connector.

Does some knows how hard is to replace this hose?

I believe that this hose is the one with the 'snake oil cooler' that runs to the rear of the car and connects with another flexible hose leading to the pump.

Somehow I think that this will be an expensive repair... :ah: (only on the parts)

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
Crazy Austrian

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
after inspecting the source for a hydraulic leak on the power steering I found that the low pressure (return) hose was leaking at the fitting where the flexible hose meets the metal hose behind the front wheel this is a crimped connector.

Does some knows how hard is to replace this hose?

I believe that this hose is the one with the 'snake oil cooler' that runs to the rear of the car and connects with another flexible hose leading to the pump.

Somehow I think that this will be an expensive repair... :ah: (only on the parts)

take off the left front wheel and the under panels - the hose runs from the steering rack to the center of the car where it has a quick diconnects. the rack end has a bolt to hold both pressure lines and return lines, . there are several line holder that you will have to remove as well. dealere price is around 120 for the hose part number depends on your year 996 347 449 06 up to 01 and 996 347 449 09 from 02 on here is a parts dealer link http://www.porschepartsnationwide.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=searchCatalogOEM&siteid=215504
Or if you can find a local hosemaker take the hose to him to see if he can repair it.

Last edited by harryrcb; 12-26-2011 at 06:26 PM.
harryrcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryrcb View Post
take off the left front wheel and the under panels - the hose runs from the steering rack to the center of the car where it has a quick diconnects. the rack end has a bolt to hold both pressure lines and return lines, . there are several line holder that you will have to remove as well. dealere price is around 120 for the hose part number depends on your year 996 347 449 06 up to 01 and 996 347 449 09 from 02 on here is a parts dealer link PORSCHE PARTS & ACCESSORIES
Or if you can find a local hosemaker take the hose to him to see if he can repair it.
Harry,

I removed all the panels and found the two "quick disconnects" for the return and the pressure side.

These quick disconnects have a small plastic ring (black on the return hose), how do you open these connectors? I am worry about breaking the plastic ring, do you have to remove the plastic ring and then unscrew the connector using a wrench on each side? These plastic rings can be rotated on the connector

BTW, thanks a lot for the link for the spare hose, my car is a CS07 and with the part number I got from the PET I was able to find it, however the return hose costs $199, and the pressure hose costs about $150...

After removing the hoses, I will take them both to a hose fabricator, hopefully they can weld a AN fitting into the metal pipe and use a hydraulic approved hose, if this is doable, then I will already have the AN fittings to add a small cooler on the return hose, (better and cheaper than buying two OEM hoses).

Of course I first I have to remove them without breaking or damaging the quick disconnect...

Last edited by Gilles; 12-26-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:38 PM   #4
Crazy Austrian

Garage
pm sent please look up
Old 02-27-2019, 06:59 PM   #5

So What's The Disconnect Procedure...Please!

Please explain how these disconnects are operated. Removing the plastic insert between the forward and aft parts allows the aft pipe to move further forward a bit into the brass body, but it returns to its former position and is not any closer to "disconnecting". What am I missing? Is there a special tool required or just a technique?

Thanks,
Randy
Rwc94303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:12 AM   #6

Hello Randy,

If I remember correctly after removing the plastic lock ring, just hold one of the 'hex nuts' with a wrench while turning the other counterclockwise with another wrench, the two part connectors bolts into each other.

Good luck!