Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2005, 01:06 PM   #1

Smile Squeeky front suspension on an S

Hey all... newby here!
I have a 2000 Boxster S with 14500 miles. When I take her out for a little trip (25 - whatever) When it heats up... The front suspension and steering seems to squeek.
There's no resistance in the wheel and it stops when it cools down... A problem or not? The car is a cream puf and never in the weather...

THANKS FOR ANY INPUT!!

Rolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 05:38 PM   #2

Get it checked out asap. Why?

I had a squeak in my 97 and it turned out to be a shot control arm. The squeaking came from aluminum against steel. Makes a real racket when you go over bumps. If you dont' get it taken care of, it can come apart and then one wheel goes one way and one goes another. Dangerous!!!

This may or may NOT be your problem. But, don't take chances with suspension problems on our cars.

Fortunately, my mechanic had an extra one and replaced mine for $425 including parts and labor. He also removed the other one and repacked it with grease, which is something dealerships will not do for you. They only replace, not repack or rebuild.

Th stealerhip charges about $450 for the part and 4 hours for labor, although it's only a 2 hour job... better to determine if this is the problem, buy the part at Sunset, and find a good mechanic to change it for you for an hourly rate, not an estimate.

Hope this helps, and hope it's just something that needs a shot of grease and not a control arm. That's a wad of $$.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 05:54 AM   #3

Red face

Hi Randall
Thanks for the input! I had the car checked (all linkages controls arms ect...) Everything is tight and packed. He suspects the heat from the radiator(s) causes the composition of the bearing material is perhaps expanding tightening around the knuckles. I can't help but notice the front fenders get really hot (to the point you can bearly hold your hands on them. Is this normal? I asked him and "yes" I guess... I....I........I dunno...

He told me the S has different suspension materials...
Rolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 12:16 PM   #4

Great news! You know, some times I freak out any time anything squeaks or thuds or whatever on my car because repairs are so doggone expensive. Sorry if I passed that on to you!

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote