Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 09:04 AM   #1

Alarm/horn quirk

1998 2.5L 986 M/T
I have a small problem that I would like to rectify at some point in time. My sister reached in my car and popped open the console while the car was locked. the car alarm went off as expected, but all that happened was the flashing lights. the horn did not blow. I have set it off several times trying to get it to blow, but it just doesn't.

The horn blows fine otherwise and the fuses all look ok I'm pretty sure. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

EvansBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:35 PM   #2
Crazy Austrian

Garage
you do realize the alarm horn is seperate from your normal horn ?! the alarm horn is under the front trunk lid to the drivers side of the battery, check the connections. The regular horns are located under the right side of the bumper cover.having said that it is my believe the horn is not supposed to go off for the console lid, only when your door is opened. or a different key is slid in the ignintion switch. with the top down the motion detector is deactivated so the fact that you reach inside does not trigger the alarm either.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:28 PM   #3

I don't see where he said the top was down. If it was locked with a window down, the alarm would go off.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:56 AM   #4

I actually didn't know the car had a separate horn for the alarm system. I'm wondering if the alarm horn is broken or unplugged.
I probably gave a little too much info...It doesn't really matter how the alarm went off, just that it did and the horn didn't blow. It also doesn't blow when I lock it up like my uncle's Boxster does.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:09 PM   #5
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
This could be a programming thing as has been brought up in other threads, EvansBlue. It's probably possible for the dealers to de-activate the horn beeping that happens when the car is locked, but since you said you're getting no horn sound at all I wonder if your horn has kicked the bucket. Like you, I also didn't realize that the alarm used a separate horn from my "GTFO of my way" horns.

If your windows are down past a certain point I'm not 100% sure that the alarm's motions sensors will still activate. One would have to look into this. I'm also not sure if the alarm is tied to the glovebox and set to go off if it is opened when the car is locked from the outside.

It is possible for your motion sensors to still work with the top down, otherwise what the hell's the point in locking the doors? You just need to get the car to still do it. You can either buy a red clip that activates the mircroswitch in the windshield frame where your top latches when raised, or you can press in that switch yourself and hold it while locking the car to make the car activate its sensors. This way if someone reaches or leans in while the top is down it'll still go off. Without tricking this switch the car will not activate the sensors, but it's not like it can't be done.

You can also deactivate the alarm's motion sensors and still lock the car by giving a double tap to the lock/unlock button on the key, which will lock the doors but won't activate any sensors inside, in case you leave your girlfriend, pet, sibling, or anyone else in the car and lock them in.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:46 AM   #6

How my alarm went off...sensors, etc...shouldn't have anything to do with the fact the horn will not blow with the alarm, I wouldn't think.

Advice on changing the horn?
Old 12-07-2011, 07:05 AM   #7
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Agreed. I think what I forgot to mention is that I don't think the ability for the dealer to stop the horn from sounding when locking with the remote could also stop it from sounding when the alarm is meant to go off, but I don't know for sure.

I've yet to actually spot this horn for myself, but I think if it is where harryrcb says it is, then you should just be able to track it down by part number, remove the plastic guard in the front trunk by the battery, and swap it out.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:48 PM   #8
Crazy Austrian

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
Agreed. I think what I forgot to mention is that I don't think the ability for the dealer to stop the horn from sounding when locking with the remote could also stop it from sounding when the alarm is meant to go off, but I don't know for sure.

I've yet to actually spot this horn for myself, but I think if it is where harryrcb says it is, then you should just be able to track it down by part number, remove the plastic guard in the front trunk by the battery, and swap it out.
I think you need to remove the battery cover and the driver side shock tower cover to get at the alarm horn.