Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2011, 03:36 AM   #1

Garage
ME7.2 - Boot Mode

Is there anyone who can point me in the right direction to be able to get the ME7.2 DME into Boot mode, so that I can dump the contents of it's EEPROM to a binary?

I found a photo on the Internet which seems to show that you should connect pin 104 of one of the 2 main Infineon chips, which is rather different from the statement made by my Galletto software, that I need to put Pin 24 to ground (Which I assume is pin 24 on the EEPROM.

I have taken a photo to show what I think they refer to, but is there anyone with knowledge of putting an ME7.2 into Boot mode, who can clarify the correct proceedure?

Sorry for the HUGE picture but it is the only way to show it clearly. :-)

http://www.cyberfooks.com/Porsche/Porsche-ME7.2-Bench-Flash-Pinouts.JPG

2001 Boxster S - 997 GT3 bodykit, Techart Wheels, Air Suspension, 2DIN stereo-GPS-Bluetooth-Reverse numberplate camera, rear speakers, Park assist, PSM, Litronic, Porsche Crests in the headrests, Rebuilt engine-IMS upgrade,Eurocup Boxster matched tube manifolds-twin high-flow cats- twin high flow rear silencers, Short-shift kit.

1999 Boxster - Xenon dip, Main and fog, Park assist, stereo-GPS-Bluetooth, rear speakers, sub-woofer
fooksm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:38 AM   #2

Garage
Oops, wrong photo in my original post

http://www.cyberfooks.com/Porsche/0261204790-ME7.2-Porsche-Boxster-S-2001-996.618.605.00.JPG

2001 Boxster S - 997 GT3 bodykit, Techart Wheels, Air Suspension, 2DIN stereo-GPS-Bluetooth-Reverse numberplate camera, rear speakers, Park assist, PSM, Litronic, Porsche Crests in the headrests, Rebuilt engine-IMS upgrade,Eurocup Boxster matched tube manifolds-twin high-flow cats- twin high flow rear silencers, Short-shift kit.

1999 Boxster - Xenon dip, Main and fog, Park assist, stereo-GPS-Bluetooth, rear speakers, sub-woofer
Old 11-30-2011, 07:15 AM   #3

Garage
How to read the ME7.2 on a Bench

I have now managed to read the ME7.2, using my Bench harness, lab supply and Galletto cable, so here is a quick how to:

1. The Power supply should be able to provide a minimum of 13v.... I use a Lab supply, tuned to give 13.5v DC output.

2. The wiring harness I use has mini clips on the ends of each cable but I will make up a harness which uses salvage ECU connectors for the ME5.2.2, ME7.2 etc. so that plugging in is quicker and safer in the future.

I have created a photo of the pinouts here: http://www.cyberfooks.com/Porsche/Porsche-ME7.2-Bench-Flash-Pinouts.JPG

3. Connect the +12v to pins 1/1,1/2,1/7,1/8 AND 1/9

4. Connect the -12v to pin 1/5 OR 1/6

5. Connect the K-Line to pin 1/3

6. Power up the lab supply

7. perform the initial actions in Galletto to "ECU Detect"

8. Click on "Read ECU"

9. When Galletto tells you to reboot the ECU with pin 24 grounded, use the following proceedure instead!!!

9a) switch off the lab supply
9b) hold a -12v lead on the main circuit board position shown.
9c) switch on the lab power supply.
9d) after about 5 seconds, pull the ground lead away from the circuit board.
9e) tap OK in Galletto
9f) It should now be in boot mode and you should see galletto download a 512K file.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #4

I'm looking through the 7.8 computer now. Do you have any info on the 7.8 DME's?

I have the Galleto setup for bench testing/flashing/reading for the 5.2 and 7.2

I have tried to download in the car, but it hangs at the 49% mark every time with an error. This is with the laptop plugged into 110ac and a fully charged "jump box" on the battery.

I'll have the cover off the computer in a few minutes and will post up a picture. It **could** be the same situation as the 7.2 where I need to touch the strip to ground.

B
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:04 PM   #5

Here is a 2006 CaymanS Bosch 7.8

I'll shoot the other side of the board shortly. They glued it to the steel frame

B
Old 02-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #6

Porsche 997 ME 7.8 K1/P4,5,6 K1/P7,8,9 K1/P1,2 K1/P3
Old 02-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #7

Backside of 7.8

Old 02-24-2012, 02:10 AM   #8

Garage
http://www.afrauto.com/haloui/passion/boot_mode/Porsche_ME7.8_ME7.8min.jpg
This is the only image I can find for getting the Porsche ME7.8 into boot mode, but itś nothing like your circuit board. :-(

Will investigate further.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:09 AM   #9

Garage

I have highlighted the pin which needs to be grounded during initial power up of the ME7.8, so that you can force it into boot mode.

Sadly, the photos are not of sufficient resolution for me to be able to try and trace the track from this pin, to a more suitable place (read, a place where you can ground this pin without risking grounding the pins on either side, as per my ME7.2 photo earlier in the thread.)

Old 02-24-2012, 05:21 AM   #10

Bloody hell.... mate, if you can't afford tools, can't you just take a ride to the local track when the P guys are around and ask to borrow or rent one of their Kess v2 flasher unit? You'll be able to download the whole thing in less than 1.5min and re-upload it after you've done your whatever curving, tweaks you are trying to do there.

I think any of the decent team there would be helpful if you ask politely. These PINning thing makes it sound like you are living 34,886 away from any modern motorsport/performance garage or a race circuit.
madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:44 AM   #11

Madmods,

My shop is in the MECCA of Motorsports for the USA, and I'd be lucky to find 2 people in the entire Los Angeles area that can actually TUNE a Porsche ECU. TWO people. The rest of them are pushing generic tunes from "suppliers" and don't actually know how to tune an engine or how cam timing effects power output

The information out there is very slim.

The last system I priced out was 10k US dollars.. I don't have it..

Your track comment.. LOL I have asked all the shop owners in my area (that attend track events) and NONE of them can tune a car. They buy the "supplied" tune and push it to the cars, or they work with the "tuner" and come up with something close..

B

Last edited by Brad Roberts; 02-24-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:49 AM   #12

Your Kess tool is made by Dimsport.. and the entire tuning "kit" and access to their "tunes" is 10kUS.

B
Old 03-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #13

Brad, you are correct. Hence why I recommended the OP to go to his nearest track when the supercars or P car guys are there and ask to borrow (or rent) one of their KESS V2 to dwload the car's map. Dunno about you guys in the USA but most of the circuits I need to go too (i.e. a lot, EU, Asia and Middle east) every team has a CAN/K-LINE protocol readers/writers of some sort. If you ask politely, and sound desperate, surely someone will be kewl enough to pass it on.

10k for the full kit yea that's right.... but it has all the error correction/checksum built-in. I personally wouldn't even reflash my motorcycle's ecu with the Galletto!

Whether you use Dimsport's 3D curve management software or AlienTech ECM Titanium, etc... in my opinion they are all the same hex/drivers thing.....

If you guys have only 2 (two) tuners in the whole of the south USA that can advance timing just a tad before it starts knocking.... then I'd seriously be looking into getting a business set-up if I were you mate
Old 03-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post
....generic tunes from "suppliers" and don't actually know how to tune an engine or how cam timing effects power output
You would be surprised what they can do now in 2012! Most of these remote tuners don't specifically tune a map for "optimised performance". What they do is remove the manufacturers' "generic" mapping, remove restrictions, and replace with optimised curves relative to the customer's car modifications (e.g cold air, thicker headers), octane level, air density (temp) and of course they can advance the timing just a little bit so the customer can feel a more responsive throtle in the 4,500-6,000 range for instance.

On average, you will gain a max of 10% power increase but never more than that... unless I've missed anything Obviously this has nothing to do with a dyno run + pro tuning curve job but still I think this is awesome for what it cost anyway. $200-$500 only.

GIAC - Automotive Performance Software Tuning is a perfect example of some dudes who knows P cars well and can tune them remotely
Old 03-07-2012, 02:10 AM   #15

GIAC is about 15min from me. Unless it is a new car, they won't touch it, unless you are a "dealer" for them.

B

Tags
boot mode , bosch , boxster s , me7.2 , motronic