Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2011, 08:12 AM   #1

Durametric - Cannot see camshaft 2 deviation

I'm trying to check the health of the IMS on a 98 base I recently purchased. I have invested in the durametric software and I only see the deviation for camshaft 1 (see pic attached).

How do I view the camshaft 2 deviation?

Attached Images

dbeesley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:18 PM   #2

If you have a ROW car, only cam 1 will show. But don't worry, cam 1 is the cam thats attached to the IMSB side of the intermediate shaft and if the IMSB is bad enough to cause cam deviation, it will show it. By the way, your cam shows no deviation and it is right on the money, 0.0, which I've never seen, mine are off by -4.x and -5.x.

I would check it again, because the absolute value on mine varies with engine temperature a few tenths of a degree, so maybe the cam position sensor may be bad? Don't know, I'm thinking out loud.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
If you have a ROW car, only cam 1 will show. But don't worry, cam 1 is the cam thats attached to the IMSB side of the intermediate shaft and if the IMSB is bad enough to cause cam deviation, it will show it. By the way, your cam shows no deviation and it is right on the money, 0.0, which I've never seen, mine are off by -4.x and -5.x.

I would check it again, because the absolute value on mine varies with engine temperature a few tenths of a degree, so maybe the cam position sensor may be bad? Don't know, I'm thinking out loud.
I hooked up my Duametric to run the same test and found that each time I start the car the cam 1 and 2 deviations change. They remain constant as the car is running, but they change each time I shut off and restart the car. It is not a temperature variation issue but I suspect it is normal.

ChairmanRon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camshaft , deviation , durametric , ims