Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 11:14 AM   #1

GiroDisc Performance Brakes, Boom

Pulled the trigger on a set of front GiroDisc rotors this morning courtesty of the kind folks over at Road Sport Supply/Stuttgart Performance. As per the norm, Bryan was an absolute delight to deal with. I opted for the set of slotted/drilled rotors. They are 340mm vs 317mm OE rotors (8 % larger) and will net me a weight savings of 2.6 LBS per corner, which collectively is 5.2 LBS of saved rotating mass. Upon arrival (Thursday at the very latest), I will upload snapshots of the rotors. Alongside a comparison analysis in size and weight when installed (supplemented with photographs). Included below is a stock image of what the rotors will look like.

Stay tuned for more!

2003 Porsche Boxster S 3.2L l AASCO Lightweight Flywheel l FVD Brombacher ECU l FVD Brombacher 100 Cell Sport Catalytics l FVD Brombacher Sport Headers l GiroDisc 340mm FR Rotors l IPD Intake Plenum l Litronics l KW Variant 3 Coilovers l Porsche 997 75mm Throttle Body l Road Sport Supply Underdrive Pulley Kit l Sachs Stage 2 Racing Clutch Kit l TechArt Short Shift Kit l TechArt Power Flow Kit l TechArt Sport Exhaust.
Cartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:28 AM   #2

'Boom' or 'Ka-ching'?
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
'Boom' or 'Ka-ching'?
Boom, sir. My mod list screams, ka-ching.
2003 Porsche Boxster S 3.2L l AASCO Lightweight Flywheel l FVD Brombacher ECU l FVD Brombacher 100 Cell Sport Catalytics l FVD Brombacher Sport Headers l GiroDisc 340mm FR Rotors l IPD Intake Plenum l Litronics l KW Variant 3 Coilovers l Porsche 997 75mm Throttle Body l Road Sport Supply Underdrive Pulley Kit l Sachs Stage 2 Racing Clutch Kit l TechArt Short Shift Kit l TechArt Power Flow Kit l TechArt Sport Exhaust.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
'Boom' or 'Ka-ching'?
As a frame of reference, my vehicle is now in the process of being converted to what will be a track only vehicle. Hence me shelling out a bit more coin for brakes now, as they are needing to be replaced. Versus replacing my brakes now with OE fitments and THAN buying the GiroDisc's. In 6-8 months a new addition will be added to the stable. Hello, 996 TT!
Old 11-09-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
Carnut

You mentioned the rotors are 340mm vs 317mm, how will they fit?? Caliper brackets change? Please educate me!

Thanks,
Andy
Old 11-09-2011, 04:23 PM   #6
Pat

Did you look at the PFC two-piece rotors? If so, how do these compare? I'm planning on getting the PFC rotors in the spring.
I'm not sure why one would want larger rotors. It seems to me like the OEM braking system works very well with race pads, and lightening the rotor hats would benefit more than larger diameter rotors. The stock rotor size is already pretty big for such a small car. What's your take on this?
Old 11-10-2011, 07:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyA6 View Post
You mentioned the rotors are 340mm vs 317mm, how will they fit?? Caliper brackets change? Please educate me!

Thanks,
Andy
Spot on. They require a 12mm spacer (of which are included in the set) to move the caliper further away from the arm to accomodate the larger rotor. Longer caliper bolts are required and included as well.

Last edited by Cartel; 11-10-2011 at 07:49 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Did you look at the PFC two-piece rotors? If so, how do these compare? I'm planning on getting the PFC rotors in the spring.
I'm not sure why one would want larger rotors. It seems to me like the OEM braking system works very well with race pads, and lightening the rotor hats would benefit more than larger diameter rotors. The stock rotor size is already pretty big for such a small car. What's your take on this?
I am not versed on PFC's rotors. With that said, I cannot speak in that capacity. On the other hand, the GiroDisc's are in fact lighter AND larger than OE.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:03 AM   #9

Per my original post, my GiroDisc rotors arrived 1st in the morning. Beautifully, well made pieces. I simply cannot wait to have them installed. At this point, I am awaiting the arrival of my GiroDisc (Front + Rear) stainless steel lines, Pagid RS19's (yellow), and rear OEM cross drilled rotors. In all likelihood, it will be 1-2 weeks prior to installation as my schedule at work is a bit erratic as of late. Suffice it to say, I could not be happier with my decision. One step closer to seeing track time! Many a thanks to Road Sport Supply/Stuttgart Performance for squaring me away as usual!

Prior to the days end, I publish the weights and diameter of the rotors. Stay tuned!
Old 11-10-2011, 08:05 AM   #10

It's lighter because it's got holes in it! j/k! :-)

With GiroDisc you must use 18" wheels and not all 18" wheels will fit.

PFC rotor hats are made of steel and not aluminum. You need to have them coated for winter driving. Other advantage is the rotors are dimpled instead of cross-drilled so the rotors will not crack.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post

PFC rotor hats are made of steel and not aluminum. You need to have them coated for winter driving. Other advantage is the rotors are dimpled instead of cross-drilled so the rotors will not crack.
Great information. Thank you for that. Upon glance, the PFC 2-piece rotors look fantastic! In regards to wheel fitment issues, there will not be a discrepancy with the 18" Carrera Lightweights I am running. Nor will there be when it comes time to order Champion RG5's.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartel View Post
As a frame of reference, my vehicle is now in the process of being converted to what will be a track only vehicle. Hence me shelling out a bit more coin for brakes now, as they are needing to be replaced.
Speaking of coinage, how much coinage?

Is it possible to get these hats for stock front rotors?
brp987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:26 PM   #13
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post

Interesting. I spoke with PFC regarding year-round durability in Colorado. They said nothing about having the hats coated. They did say some people choose to coat the hardware, but that it was not necessary. Do you think they're not being honest with me?
Old 11-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #14
Pat

Quote:
I am not versed on PFC's rotors. With that said, I cannot speak in that capacity. On the other hand, the GiroDisc's are in fact lighter AND larger than OE.
Wow, those are beautiful. Lighter AND larger is a great combination. That said, the PFCs are significantly lighter than OEM, and I'm guessing significantly lighter than the Giros. I look forward to seeing what they weigh in at. Since I'm not really racing and it's my DD, I don't anticipate needing any more braking power than track pads and OEM-sized rotors. But it is nice to know there are other options out there. Cheers!
Old 11-11-2011, 09:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Interesting. I spoke with PFC regarding year-round durability in Colorado. They said nothing about having the hats coated. They did say some people choose to coat the hardware, but that it was not necessary. Do you think they're not being honest with me?
Perhaps Colorado don't have a lot of salt on the road in winter, but I don't think you'll have that problem if the hats are aluminum, or if that's your summer only car.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:50 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp987 View Post
Speaking of coinage, how much coinage?

Is it possible to get these hats for stock front rotors?
In terms of coin, various packages start at $2,200 for a set of four depending on ths specifications. In regards to acquiring the hats for stock rotors, I am unsure if that can be done. Your best bet is to contact Road Sport Supply directly. Included below is there contact information if you are interested.

Road Sport Supply/Stuttgart Performance
sales@roadsportsupply.com
Old 11-14-2011, 07:00 AM   #17

Did they say what the rotor hat material is?? Oem tends to rust a bit. Will the parking brake work with them on rear rotors?

Quote:
Per my original post, my GiroDisc rotors arrived 1st in the morning. Beautifully, well made pieces. I simply cannot wait to have them installed. At this point, I am awaiting the arrival of my GiroDisc (Front + Rear) stainless steel lines, Pagid RS19's (yellow), and rear OEM cross drilled rotors. In all likelihood, it will be 1-2 weeks prior to installation as my schedule at work is a bit erratic as of late. Suffice it to say, I could not be happier with my decision. One step closer to seeing track time! Many a thanks to Road Sport Supply/Stuttgart Performance for squaring me away as usual!

Prior to the days end, I publish the weights and diameter of the rotors. Stay tuned!
Old 11-14-2011, 07:27 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Did they say what the rotor hat material is?? Oem tends to rust a bit. Will the parking brake work with them on rear rotors?
If I am not mistaken, the OEM hat material is cast iron. Whereas the Girodisc's are aluminum. Yes, the parking brake will work with the rear OEM setup.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:07 AM   #19

Send a message via AIM to ABQautoxer
So how did you deal with changing the brake bias by installing larger diameter front rotors?
ABQautoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:56 AM   #20

Quote:
In regards to acquiring the hats for stock rotors, I am unsure if that can be done. Your best bet is to contact Road Sport Supply directly. Included below is there contact information if you are interested.

Road Sport Supply/Stuttgart Performance
sales@roadsportsupply.com
You cannot use the GiroDisc hats for factory rotors period. Factory rotors are not 2-piece design.