Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 04:17 PM   #1

help please!!!

i own a 1999 boxster tiptronic and ive been having gearbox problems lately so i just changed the entire gearbox and everything is going perfectly except when shifting from 2nd to 3rd after the 3rd gear engages and i rev it there is a period of 1 second before it is engaged again and works normally so my mechanic says that it needs to be driven carefully for a week or so so that the valves get cleaned and the oil takes its place is this true? or do i need to exchange the gearbox once again? thank you in advance for your help

gs986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:12 PM   #2

I would guess torque convertor. But then, I'm not a mechanic.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:44 PM   #3

and i forgot to mention that when going from 4th gear to 3rd this problem does not occur... any1 ??!! :P
Old 10-30-2011, 01:50 PM   #4

I m sorry to post again so soon but my problem still persists and i need to know what to do before confronting my mechanic and hear him lie to me i would apreciate any feedback on whether this kind of problem goes away with time and patience or do i have to put it back in the shop
Thank you in advance
Old 11-01-2011, 11:37 AM   #5
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Personally, I would bring the car back and ask that the issue be looked into without a charge for labor or any fix that may be required, as they should have done it right the first time and be willing to honor their work to make things right. I didn't want use so strong a word as "demand", but if the situation calls for it, demand it from them. I would expect that if you have a decent relationship with this mechanic that he'd be willing to make good without you needing to become an upset consumer. I'm not an expert on the automatics on these cars by any means, but in general that doesn't sound right or sound like it's something that should "work itself out". Has he driven the car or gone for a ride with you to experience it?

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote